corner corner Whylah Falls

Whylah Falls
by George Elliott Clarke | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 4/5/2018

status (set by Tarna): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, April 05, 2018

Wikipedia:

"Whylah Falls is a long narrative poem (or "verse novel") by George Elliott Clarke, published in book form in 1990.

As with much of Clarke's work, the poem is inspired by the history and culture of the Black Canadian community in Nova Scotia, which he refers to as the "Africadian" community (a combination of the words "African" and "Acadian"). Clarke himself describes the work as a "blues spiritual about love and the pain of love".

Whylah Falls tells the story of several pairs of black lovers in southwestern Nova Scotia in the 1930s, through dramatic monologues, songs, sermons, sonnets, newspaper snippets, recipes, haiku and free verse. It has also been released in audiobook form, with an original jazz score performed by Joe Sealy, Jamie Gattie and Steve Macdonald to accompany the reading. Clarke also adapted the poem into a stage play, which premiered in 1999.

Whylah Falls was a winner of the Archibald Lampman Award for poetry. The book was also chosen for the CBC's inaugural Canada Reads competition in 2002, where it was championed by author Nalo Hopkinson."

***
This intriguing book was waiting for me on the recycling shelf at the local library. Couldn't resist!

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, June 14, 2018

Phew, what an experience! I don't think I've ever read anything quite like this. Very powerful and atmospheric. I could see and feel and taste what it was like in Whylah Falls. It was all very real somehow. I read most of the book out loud in my mind to really feel the rhythm of the text. Recommended!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, June 14, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (6/15/2018 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

On its way to someone who's had this on their wishlist since 2007. Hope you'll find it's worth the wait!

Journal Entry 4 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Oh my, I don't know what to say — except, THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH, ANNIMANNI. Whylah Falls has been on my wishlist since 2007. And now I've got it! Actually, it's the only 2002 Canada Reads book still in my wishlist. The winner is my all-time favourite, In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje, and the others are great as well. Haven't read The Stone Angel yet, but it's been sitting in my shelf some 20 years waiting to be read.
I think I'll put this book in my PC 'cause I want to enjoy it quite a long time. It's nice to know you read it aloud. I often do so — some texts, especially poetry, seem to require it.
Thanks for the postcard, too. You always send the most beautiful cards. I imagine this one, GIUSEPPE MARIA CRESPI: Scaffale con libri di musica, is also the most appropriate one to go with Whylah Falls.