corner corner 100 Creepy Little Creature Stories

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, April 02, 2018

I got this hefty softcover after learning that it includes Donald A. Wollheim's short story "Mimic," the inspiration for the 1997 film. (The "Mimic" story was interesting, providing the germ of the idea for the film, but its ending felt a bit goofy to me.) The book has lots of other tales, too, some from favorite authors of mine, including E. F. Benson ("Caterpillars"), Ambrose Bierce ("The Damned Thing"), Manly Wade Wellman ("Frogfather", "The Kelpie"), Lafcadio Hearn ("Jikininki"), Saki ("Laura"), and H. P. Lovecraft ("The Unnamable").

Later: Very good collection, with a great percentage of hits and relatively few stories that I didn't care for. (I do recommend reading a few stories at a time, rather than trying to read the whole book in one sitting.) Among my favorites of the new-to-me stories:

"Dark Brother" by Donald Burleson, creepy tale of haunting

"Dog, Cat, and Baby" by Joe R. Lansdale, a grisly little short-short

"Ghouls of the Sea" by J. B. S. Fullilove, about ghoulish doings on a lost ship

"Mummy" by Kelsey Percival Kitchel, in which a bored worker in South America digs up a mummy and finds that it objects to the mistreatment

"My Father, the Cat" by Henry Slesar, which is actually more of a touching family story than anything creepy; well worth reading in any case

"Something Nasty" by William F. Nolan, featuring a child who discovers the power of belief

"Spidertalk" by Steve Rasnic Tem, with a schoolteacher attempting to help a little girl overcome her fear of spiders - while real-world dangers also threaten

"Tzo-Lin's Nightingales" by Ben Belitt, an atmospheric tale of a visit to a strange and sinister shop

And many more!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, August 12, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (8/13/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this to BCer InfiniteGrant in Texas, in exchange for the Night/Nights of the Living Dead duo. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingInfiniteGrantwing at Fort Worth, Texas USA on Friday, August 17, 2018

Sent by a fellow bookcrosser, I look forward to reading it, thank you!