corner corner A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes

A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes
by Stephen Hawking | Science
Registered by wingdark-dracowing of Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on 3/14/2018

status (set by greenbadger): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingdark-dracowing from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 14, 2018

It seems kind of apt to register this book today - they've just announced that Stephen Hawking has died. He was 76 - a great age considering he was told he'd live for 2 years back in the 1960's.

I first read this back in 2015 - here's my review from then ....

Well, it's hard to review a book that you know from the start isn't going to be enjoyable as such - confusing, enlightening, informative, surprisingly funny and hard work in places, but not 'enjoyable'! I have to say that I found it very readable - the style and narration make some very complicated theories more accessible - maybe not completely understandable (I think more than one read is necessary for that), but at least the concepts behind such 'buzz words' as string theory, quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle, have begun to make a lot more sense, and that's coming from a biologist rather than a physicist! Definitely worth working your way through.

Journal Entry 2 by wingdark-dracowing at Book ray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, May 18, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (5/18/2018 UTC) at Book ray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Released as a Book Ray.

This isn't a book to read in a hurry - don't feel that you have to rush it on to the next person - take your time to work your way through the theories!

List of participants
1. greenbadger (UK) - post anywhere
2. freuju (Germany) - post anywhere
3. spatial (US) - post anywhere
4. Olivia_Lo (Taiwan) - post anywhere

Journal Entry 3 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Thank you very much for this ray book.