corner corner In a Strange City: A Tess Monaghan Novel (Tess Monaghan Mysteries (Paperback))

Journal Entry 1 by vanbiohazard from North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, March 13, 2018

I've read Laura Lippman before, but not one of her Tess Monaghan novels. This has a different tone than the stand alone novels. The stand alones are darker, more grim, and definitely more disquieting. I didn't expect to find humour and the lighter atmosphere that is definitely in this book. This is the sixth Tess Monaghan and although this is a series, it didn't matter that I had not read the previous books, although I'm sure that it would have given me more background. Tess is a likable character, she likes music, loves good food, and adores her hometown of Baltimore. She works out, she isn't an alcoholic, isn't suicidal, and doesn't seem to suffer from any form of mental illness. Tess is the healthiest physically, mentally and emotionally detective police or private in fiction, I've ever read. It's a refreshing change, from the usual sad and twisted characters that seem to populate the books I usually read.
I picked this one up, because of the allusion to Edgar Allan Poe, the author that addicted me early in childhood to reading. This was more about the Poe Toaster, than Poe himself. The Poe Toaster was a person (man or woman we'll never know) who used to visit Poe's grave and leave three roses and a half bottle cognac on January 21st. Tess turns down an assignment that would involve unmasking the mysterious Toaster. The ritual was something loved by the people of Baltimore and beyond and she could not in good conscience participate in something that would take away the Toasters anonymity. Although she turns down the case, she still makes the pilgrimage to the grave site for the first time and witnesses two Toasters one who manages to get murdered right in front of all the Poe alcolytes. At this point, she takes it upon herself to try to find out what is going on, even though she is doing it completely unpaid. Along the way, the reader gets a good snapshot of Baltimore and it's denizens. This was my first Monaghan book, but there will definitely be more. (less)

Journal Entry 2 by vanbiohazard at Kafka's Coffee Shop in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (3/14/2018 UTC) at Kafka's Coffee Shop in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Releasing at Bookcrossing Meetup at Kafka's. Come say hello, have a coffee and take a book or more...