corner corner That They May Face the Rising Sun

That They May Face the Rising Sun
by John McGahern | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Steglitz, Berlin Germany on 3/13/2018

status (set by Cassiopaeia): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Steglitz, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, March 13, 2018

John McGahern (12 November 1934 – 30 March 2006) is regarded as one of the most important Irish writers of the latter half of the twentieth century.
Known for the detailed dissection of Irish life found in works such as The Barracks, The Dark and Amongst Women, The Observer hailed him as "the greatest living Irish novelist" before his death in 2006 and in its obituary the Guardian described him as 'arguably the most important Irish novelist since Samuel Beckett'.
His final novel, That They May Face the Rising Sun which was published in 2001 (published in the United States as By the Lake) is a portrait of a year in the life of a rural lakeside community. The novel, explores the meaning in prosaic lives and life in (a now past life) in rural Ireland. He claimed that "the ordinary fascinates me" and "the ordinary is the most precious thing in life". The main characters have – just like McGahern and his wife – returned from London to live on a farm. Most of the violence of the father-figure has disappeared now, and life in the country seems much more relaxed and prosperous than in The Dark, or Amongst Women as McGahern now writes in a twenty-first century Ireland.
(Wikipedia)

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bordeaux, Aquitaine France on Thursday, April 12, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (4/20/2018 UTC) at Bordeaux, Aquitaine France

Wishlist book for Cassiopaeia!
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, April 20, 2018

I think this might be the only one I haven’t read yet. How very kind of you, perfect! And I think the Berlin literature will do it’s job too! Of course we will have to go clubbing in Berlin x