corner corner Love On The Dole

Love On The Dole
by Walter Greenwood | Literature & Fiction
Registered by 4evagreen of Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 3/11/2018

status (set by mattydog1): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by 4evagreen from Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 11, 2018

Received as a BookMooch.

Journal Entry 2 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Love on the Dole centres on the Hardcastle family and their neighbours in Hanky Park,a poor part of Salford. Mr Hardcastle, a miner, Mrs Hardcastle a housewife and their children Harry and Sally along with their neighbours represent a working-class economy which was always fragile and was further damaged during the 1930's as a consequences of the Great Depression.

Although this is a novel that is set in a very specific time in history when the British and the world economy was under considerable strain I believe that its central story still resonates in Britain today. Well paid working class jobs particularly in manufacturing appear difficult to find and even those that exist seem to have been undermined by the introduction of zero hours contracts where workers have no idea from one week to the next what they will earn. We also have a situation where good rental properties are becoming ever more unaffordable for working class people meaning that they are compelled to live in substandard accommodation where over time there rental payments far exceed the value of the property. Also we seem to have an establishment (in this case represented by the social security office staff and the Police) seem to be indifferent to the workers plight. I enjoyed the writers style which to me seems to really capture the despair that they all feel but I also enjoyed the social message that it conveyed. Walter Greenwood had been unemployed for three years when he wrote this his first book and it rapidly changed his life from being an unemployed Salford worker to a best-selling author, a remarkable achievement.

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (5/15/2018 UTC) at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as a BookMooch. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by mattydog1 at Marlow Bottom, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 17, 2018

received as a bookmooch