corner corner Road to Little Dribbling

Road to Little Dribbling
by Bill Bryson | Travel
Registered by wingLittleSuzwing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 3/10/2018

status (set by kinedi): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, March 10, 2018

Christmas present from my sister. Just starting to read now.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, March 17, 2018

I've always enjoyed Bill Bryson's books previously. They are interesting, funny, and almost unique in writing style. But only a couple of chapters into this one, I started to realise with dismay, that if I actually met the guy I probably wouldn't like him at all.

The Road to Little Dribbling *does* contain a few laugh-out-loud moments, but these are sadly surpassed by the number of uncomfortable bits where Bryson acts like the inappropriately curmudgeonly uncle who no one wants to sit next to at Christmas. He calls people brainless idiots, he bitches about perfectly reasonable shop assistants, he complains..., and complains..., and complains some more.

And the problem with this, is that it dampens the mood of the whole book even when he is enthusiastic about something. The levity and lightness of Notes From a Small Island is forgotten. I found myself skim-reading accounts of yet another museum, another pub, another walking anecdote. It was starting to feel like the account of someone who's accepted a contract with his publisher he really regrets.

As if to illustrate this lack of enthusiasm, Little Dribbling is supposed to cover Bryson's journey across the whole UK but two thirds in, he's only reached the midlands. Scotland eventually gets squashed into a measly 26 pages (out of a possible 474). You can tell he was desperate to get the whole thing finished with.

Journal Entry 3 by wingLittleSuzwing at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 18, 2018

Released 3 days ago (3/18/2018 1:00 PM UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Released at meetup

If you are new to bookcrossing - welcome and congratulations for finding a book! Please leave a journal entry to let me and any other readers know where it has gone and what you thought of it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, March 19, 2018

Picked up at the Meet Up, thanks for bringing along