corner corner The Road to Nab End: A Lancashire Childhood

The Road to Nab End: A Lancashire Childhood
by William Woodruff | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingLittleSuzwing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 3/10/2018

status (set by Cassandra2020): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, March 10, 2018

What an amazing autobiography. It was so grim, yet not miserable. It was so heartwarming, yet not saccharine. I've come across Woodruff's story in history books quite a bit in the past I think, but it was wonderful to read it laid out in the original. He was an exceptional man to be able to tell this tale so eloquently in the end, but my how many millions of forgotten names must have lived in similar circumstances?

I'm trying to think of which bits will stay with me the longest. Probably the bit about the child's accident on the railway to be honest! But also the image of a half-starved Woodruff pushing a barrow around Blackburn filled with expensive groceries for the wealthy.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittleSuzwing at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 18, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (3/18/2018 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Released at meetup

If you are new to bookcrossing - welcome and congratulations for finding a book! Please leave a journal entry to let me and any other readers know where it has gone and what you thought of it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, March 19, 2018

Picked up at meetup - thank you! As a Lancashire lass, I think I'll enjoy this one