corner corner Where Women Are Kings

Where Women Are Kings
by Christie Watson | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingkeeta1wing of Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on 3/10/2018

status (set by Poodlesister): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingkeeta1wing from Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Saturday, March 10, 2018

Amazon Editorial Review
From the award-winning author of Tiny Sunbirds, Far Away, the story of a young boy who believes two things: that his Nigerian birth mother loves him like the world has never known love, and that he is a wizard

Elijah, seven years old, is covered in scars and has a history of disruptive behavior. Taken away from his birth mother, a Nigerian immigrant in England, Elijah is moved from one foster parent to the next before finding a home with Nikki and her husband, Obi.
Nikki believes that she and Obi are strong enough to accept Elijah’s difficulties—and that being white will not affect her ability to raise a black son. They care deeply for Elijah and, in spite of his demons, he begins to settle into this loving family. But as Nikki and Obi learn more about their child’s tragic past, they face challenges that threaten to rock the fragile peace they’ve established, challenges that could prove disastrous.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 10, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (3/10/2018 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Thank you and I hope you enjoy the book :)
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingJ4shawwing at Boise, Idaho USA on Monday, April 02, 2018

Oh Keeta1, you are good to me!
A wishlist RABCK (Wished for January 2017) gratefully received in Boise Idaho.

Journal Entry 4 by wingJ4shawwing at Mold, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, May 07, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (5/8/2018 UTC) at Mold, Wales United Kingdom

MY REVIEW:
Just loved this one!
So very moving a story. Really touched my heart this one, and I shed more than just the 1 tear!

Sending this one to Bookfrogster to tie in with the Send your current read RABCK ..... (just because) seeing as I have a few days in the UK.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 12, 2018

Oh my goodness J4shaw, what a lovely surprise to come home to yesterday evening. As usual, your timing is impeccable. Thank you for your kindness. :-)

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, May 14, 2018

So, I basically couldn't put this down and have now finished it!! Parts of this were very sad indeed, and I found the parts where Elijah is with his birth mother extremely difficult. However, the character of Daddy (Obi's Dad) cheered my heart every time he appeared. What a lovely man he was, so kind and comforting.
Thank you J4Shaw and keeta1!
I have seen this on another wishlist so plan to continue the rabck theme. :-)

Journal Entry 7 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (5/15/2018 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

And off this goes to Shahrun as part of the "Send your current read RABCK" thread.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :-)

Journal Entry 8 by wingShahrunwing at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, May 17, 2018

This surprise RABCK and accompanying chocolate bar (to sweeten an already good deal) arrived today with a fabulous post card too. Thank you so much for granting me a wish. I shall do my best to read and release it as soon as I can (probably sooner than later so I can have at said chocolate bar).

Journal Entry 9 by wingShahrunwing at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 10, 2018

This was a very captivating, but quite traumatic story. It is a look into an element of a different culture that is very alien to how I have been brought up. Also a little glimpse into the workings of child protection and social services, which from my own limited personal experience seemed genuine. I found it quite harrowing reading as it touched a bit too close to home. I wonder if it was hard for the author to write? I really loved the whole cast of characters but I especially enjoyed Daddy, Chanel and Jasmin. It was one of those books where no one (except that aweful Bishop) was really a villain but I could see life through all of their eyes.

Thank he so much for sharing this with me. I really needed that chocolate bar that came with it! I shall do my best to find it a new reader as soon as I can.

On a random note, this book started its life in Auckland. My mum is from there (she’s a Westy).

Journal Entry 10 by wingShahrunwing at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, July 29, 2018

Released 3 wks ago (7/29/2018 UTC) at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom

Going to my first ever BookCrossing meet up. Should have been a picnic in Regents Park, but Mother Nature had better ideas. Now we are going for a pub lunch in the Allsop Arms near Marylebone/Baker Street. I have a large bag of books to share, so though it easiest to make release notes now (I really don’t want to bring any back). So go forth brave little books! Thanks for letting me read you. I hope you find many new readers to delight.

Journal Entry 11 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 29, 2018

I couldn’t resist this book.

Journal Entry 12 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, August 13, 2018

Very moving and very sad, but with some lovely moments.

Journal Entry 13 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Wishlist Tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, August 13, 2018

Released 2 days ago (8/18/2018 9:00 AM UTC) at Wishlist Tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Going on a long slow journey to mcsar.