corner corner Astray

Astray
by Author unknown | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingLittleSuzwing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 3/9/2018

status (set by kinedi): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 09, 2018

Short stories aren't generally my thing. It's hard to develop enough plot and character across so few pages as to really ignite my interest I find. But every now and again there is a collection so well-captured and unusual that all of these objections are overridden. And this is one of them. Donoghue does a fabulous job of identifying small vignettes from history and turning them into fascinating stories. Ones which I particularly loved were:

Man and Boy - about the relationship between a zookeeper and elephant
Onward - about a genteel Victorian prostitute and her young daughter
The Widow's Cruse - about a lawyer plotting to make a mint from a young widow's estate, before getting quite a surprise
The Hunt - Really agonising story about rape and soldiers in the American War of Independence

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 18, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (3/18/2018 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Passed on to Kinedi at meetup

If you are new to bookcrossing - welcome and congratulations for finding a book! Please leave a journal entry to let me and any other readers know where it has gone and what you thought of it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, March 19, 2018

Picked up at the Meet Up, thanks for bringing along