corner corner Astray

Astray
by Emma Donoghue | Literature & Fiction
Registered by LittleSuz of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 3/9/2018

status (set by bookfrogster): available

Journal Entry 1 by LittleSuz from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 09, 2018

Short stories aren't generally my thing. It's hard to develop enough plot and character across so few pages as to really ignite my interest I find. But every now and again there is a collection so well-captured and unusual that all of these objections are overridden. And this is one of them. Donoghue does a fabulous job of identifying small vignettes from history and turning them into fascinating stories. Ones which I particularly loved were:

Man and Boy - about the relationship between a zookeeper and elephant
Onward - about a genteel Victorian prostitute and her young daughter
The Widow's Cruse - about a lawyer plotting to make a mint from a young widow's estate, before getting quite a surprise
The Hunt - Really agonising story about rape and soldiers in the American War of Independence

Journal Entry 2 by LittleSuz at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 18, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (3/18/2018 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Passed on to Kinedi at meetup

If you are new to bookcrossing - welcome and congratulations for finding a book! Please leave a journal entry to let me and any other readers know where it has gone and what you thought of it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, March 19, 2018

Picked up at the Meet Up, thanks for bringing along

Journal Entry 4 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, August 06, 2018

I am with LittleSuz on her review of ''Astray'' - I am not a big fan of short stories either but I did enjoy Emma Donogue's collection of travellers throughout history, perhaps because I am a traveller too having left my home country and gone astray :o). I also enjoyed the little explanation at the end of each chapter which made the stories even more real

Journal Entry 5 by wingkinediwing at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Released 1 wk ago (9/16/2018 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Welcome to Bookcrossing.

Thank you for catching this book! I hope that you enjoy it and will consider exploring this site and possibly joining. It is free and loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world!

Please feel free to keep this book for as long as you wish, and whenever you're ready, pass it on. Then watch its journey - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes a new journal entry. It's all confidential, free and fun (and addictive - but in a GOOD way)!

You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join the site, I hope that you will consider using me, kinedi, as the one who referred you.

Congratulations on finding a Bookcrossing book and Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, September 17, 2018

Caught at the Old gang meet up. Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, September 21, 2018

LOVED this collection of short stories. It was really interesting to read the inspiration behind each one too. I think I'll save this one for the next Old Gang meet up.