corner corner Barenaked Ladies The Authorized Biography

Barenaked Ladies The Authorized Biography
by Paul Myers | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by jessibud of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 2/1/2018

status (set by jessibud): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 01, 2018

This book was published in 2001 and as such, is rather dated, considering that I am reading it in 2018. That said, however, it was a joyful romp and quite well-written. Myers goes into the background lives of the original members of the group - and I loved the section of photos, including childhood photos! - and chronicles their evolution and journey from their individual musical interests, to summer music camp, to local gigs to the *big time*. It took me longer to read the whole book than it might have, though, because, although I love BNL, I only have one mixed tape (a cassette!) that a friend once made for me, and wasn't familiar with a lot of their songs. So I did what anyone in 2018 would do: I went to youtube to find and listen to songs. Many of the youtube offerings showed the videos and written lyrics, as well, so while that was a bit of a timesuck, it was also a real delight.

Myers goes into a lot of the backstories of the songs, as well as into the actual recording sessions and album playlists, etc. I could have skimmed over those session parts as that isn't really of major interest to me, but in fact, I didn't skip any of it. He is a good writer and I really enjoyed all of it. One of the things I liked was learning about how much crossover there was in the industry between other Canadian musicians and performers. And these guys - BNL - were/are so talented!!

It would be interesting to have him writer a sequel, or an update now since there have been so many changes in the group since 2001. I would read it!

Edited to add this. I just found this link:

(and it's narrated by Ralph Benmergui, of all people!)

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookgirrlwing at Acton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 04, 2018

Thanks, Jessibud for saving this book for me. Donfiction said, "Ah, yes...Jessibud....my source of non-fiction in Bookcrossing!". 'Looks like BOTH of us are going to tear through it. In the 1980's, the The BNL's became the darlings of college kids, and then suddenly, they were famous all over the world. I'm sure you could hum a few bars of "If I Had a Million Dollars" on just about any continent and it would be recognized. The fun thing about this band is...they are FUN! And they are goofy looking and acting - but don't judge a book by its cover. They are great musicians and performers. Of course, most of us wish Page would reunite with the other "gals", just as we all wish CSNY would reunite one more time, but I don't think that will ever happen. One last note: author Paul Myers is a very good music journalist. He somehow gives you the facts, while entertaining you with lively prose. His Long John Baldry bio has an honoured place on my rock and roll bookshelf. (By the way - he is the brother of "Austin Powers".)

Journal Entry 3 by DonFiction at Acton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, February 20, 2018

I would have given this book a higher ranking if I had seen it about 15 years ago.....liked it.....but glossed over the 2nd part.....thanks for passing along....

Journal Entry 4 by wingBookgirrlwing at Acton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 22, 2018

OK...it's in my grubby hands now.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBookgirrlwing at Acton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 22, 2018

PS: This book sure gets you watching a lot of Youtube clips! Also, status changed to Permanent Collection. To be added to the Rock & Roll bookshelf (Canada shelf) with Randy Bachman, Dave Bidini, Carole Pope, Anne Murray, Ian Tyson, Levon Helm's story of The Band, Bruce Cockburn, Neil Young....)

Journal Entry 6 by jessibud at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Make sure you watch the one-hour doc link in my first JE AFTER you read the book. It was made about 10 years after the book was written and is like having an extra chapter, an update. Cool stuff.