corner corner In The Pines

In The Pines
by Erik Kriek | Graphic Novels
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/28/2018

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, January 28, 2018

I got this handsome hardcover from Barnes and Noble. It's a collection of graphic-novel-format stories based on murder ballads. Some I was familiar with, such as "Long Black Veil" - I've enjoyed several different versions of that song, and knew how the story would turn out, but the author managed to provide an intriguing interpretation that enhanced the original tale. Others were new to me, but the author's notes described how each of those had different versions - and how the author chose a specific direction for each. The most grim is probably "Taneytown," with its racial violence and cruelty, panic and guilt, but all of them (surprise!) are pretty downbeat. I suppose there aren't a lot of happy murder ballads {wry grin}. I think my favorite was "Caleb Meyer," in part because I hadn't heard of it before and in part because it has the closest thing to a satisfactory conclusion in the book...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Fayerweather St in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, February 25, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (2/25/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Fayerweather St in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library this afternoon; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Great Backyard Bird Count release challenge. See this year's GBBC here. ***