corner corner Extraordinary People (The Enzo Files #1)

Extraordinary People (The Enzo Files #1)
by Peter May | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 1/21/2018

status (set by judysh): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, January 21, 2018

My husband is enabling my book addiction. He gave me all three of Peter May's Lewis trilogy books last year. Then at Christmas he gave me one of the Enzo Files books. He thought it was the first one in the series but it was actually the third. He was asking me this morning when I was going to read it and I explained that I didn't want to read it until I had read the previous ones. So, this afternoon we drove to McNally Robinson and he bought me this book which is the first one. Oh well, as addictions go a book addiction isn't too distressing!

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Peter May's Lewis trilogy was one of my reading highlights in 2017. People told me that his Enzo files books were just as good so I have laid a few of those on Mount TBR. This is the first in that series and I have to agree that it lives up to the three Lewis books.

Enzo Macleod went to a forensic science conference in France and fell in love (that conference must have been quite a bit different from any scientific conference I ever attended). So he left his wife, daughterKirsty and career in Scotland and moved to France. His new love died in childbirth and Enzo was left to raise his daughter,Sophie, on his own. Now she is grown up and has a boyfriend that Enzo doesn't approve of. Kirsty has taken a job in Paris but she doesn't want to see Enzo. While Enzo still wants to be involved in both daughters' lives he also has a bet to win. A Parisian professor, Jacques Gaillard, who disappeared ten years ago has never been found but Enzo believes he can use modern forensic detection to solve his disappearance. Two thousand euros is on the line and Enzo can't afford to lose that much. He starts with talking to a journalist who included the case in a book of unsolved mysteries in France. While picking up papers from the journalist's apartment he meets Charlotte who used to have a relationship with the journalist. For the first time in many years Enzo is attracted to a woman and Charlotte seems to be attracted to him. Or is it just the case that interests her? As Enzo delves further into the disappearance he proves that the man was in fact murdered and that he was dismembered. Soon Enzo and associates have some clues to work with because a metal trunk with a skull and some other objects was found in the catacombs beneath Paris and forensically it can be proven that the skull is Gaillard's. The other objects must be clues to where the rest of the body can be found. A gruesome treasure hunt around France ensues with Charlotte showing up from time to time to provide some romance.

I devoured this book. It is clever without making the reader feel dumb. The descriptions of France are terrific. I'm not sure I would want to go down into the catacombs beneath Paris after reading this book but it sure is a great setting for a mystery. Looking forward to reading more Enzo Files.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, June 14, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (6/14/2018 UTC) at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I will be taking this book to the Winnipeg BookCrossing Meetup tonight. If no-one there takes it home it will be left on the OBCZ shelf for a new reader.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.

Journal Entry 4 by judysh at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, June 15, 2018

Picked up at bookcrossing meetup. Nice to see the little shelf full again.