corner corner Another Way to Fall

Another Way to Fall
by Brian Evenson, Paul Tremblay | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingResQgeekwing of Alexandria, Virginia USA on 1/18/2018

status (set by 6of8): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, January 18, 2018

Another free book from Concord Free Press", to read and pass along.

From the back cover:

THIS BOOK IS FREE
By taking a copy, you agree to give away money to a local charity, someone who needs it, or a stranger in the street. Where the money goes and how much you give--that's your call. When you're don, pass this book on to someone else (for free, of course), so that they can give. It adds up.

Journal Entry 2 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, February 14, 2018

I love the concept of Concord Free Press, and I make an effort to request every book they publish so I can participate in their experiment in charitable giving. Of course this means that I often receive books that stray far from the types of books I normally seek out for myself. This is one of those books. While not terrifying in the way that much modern horror writing can be, the two stories included in this book are distinctly creepy and unsettling, and can certainly be considered horror stories, which isn't a genre that I typically enjoy reading.

I found these stories to be disturbing and neither provides what I would consider a satisfactory resolution. They are well written, and they provide vivid imagery and a strong sense of place. So while I can't honestly say that I enjoyed these stories because of their unsettling nature, I must admit that I appreciated that they are well written, and I found them sparking a certain contemplation of the issues that they raise.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Fairview Urban Park free library tower in Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Sunday, June 17, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (6/17/2018 UTC) at Fairview Urban Park free library tower in Silver Spring, Maryland USA

This book was left over at the end of today's meet-up in Virginia. I brought it back to Maryland to release it at the library tower in the park.