corner corner The Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera
by GASTON LEROUX | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/11/2018

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, January 11, 2018

I got this slightly-battered paperback from a friend who's downsizing.

The story's a classic by now, although that's due largely to the various film and, more recently, Broadway adaptations, which do tend to vary from the book. I enjoyed it, though I have to admit that it is rather slow-paced, and as it includes a description of the Phantom's marred face quite early on, it changes the whole what's-behind-the-mask thing. [The description is sufficiently horrifying that it may have added tension for pre-film-version readers, I imagine!] The novel adds a brother to the handsome young love-interest, as well as more back-story; and there's a mysterious Persian who's the Phantom's henchman from his pre-Opera life (which we also get a bit more back-story about). The odd relationship between Christine and Eric certainly exists in the book - a mix of student/teacher, victim/captor, and one who feels pity/one who feels obsessive passion... There are some rather unbelievable Indiana-Jones-style scenes of torture, action, escape - and an odd story structure that includes third-person narrative, first-person reports/accounts, and police reports to fill in the details.

This may be a prime example of a fabulous germ of a story that wasn't that well realized in the novel, but which inspired a horror-story icon...

It also inspired a not-very-successful-in-my-opinion sequel, The Phantom of Manhattan.

[The story's been filmed many times; I've enjoyed the 1925 Lon Chaney version and the 1943 Claude Rains version, and was so-so about the 2004 film version of the musical; I know I've seen other versions too but don't recall them as clearly. I did enjoy Terry Pratchett's Maskerade, which does some lovely riffs on the story, both the original and the Andrew Lloyd Weber version {grin}. There's a TV Tropes page on the book and its adaptations too; entertaining, but do beware of spoilers.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Showcase Cinemas, 32 Reiss Ave in Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Friday, January 12, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (1/12/2018 UTC) at Showcase Cinemas, 32 Reiss Ave in Lowell, Massachusetts USA

I left this book, bagged against the rain, in the branches of a small tree at one end of the parking lot at the cinema; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Clean Start release challenge. ***