corner corner The Hours

The Hours
by Michael Cunningham | Literature & Fiction
Registered by chopsuey999 of Bega, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, March 25, 2004

status (set by alexiapapa): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by chopsuey999 from Bega, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, March 25, 2004

A revisiting of Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway. A small book and a great read. I highly recommend it.

Journal Entry 2 by chopsuey999 at The Goose is Out Cafe, Church St in Bega, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, March 25, 2004

Released on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at The Goose is Out Cafe in Bega, New South Wales Australia.

The rack of reading material

Journal Entry 3 by Bronzewing from Castlemaine, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Today I went into the The Goose Is Out Cafe for lunch and to release a book into the wild - and what did I find? My second unexpected bookcrossing find. Thank you chopsuey999! (the book I released is in the magazine rack also). I will report in again when I've read it.

Journal Entry 4 by Bronzewing from Castlemaine, Victoria Australia on Thursday, April 15, 2004

I loved this, and highly recommend those who read it to also read the book that inspired Michael Cunningham to write it - Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.

Journal Entry 5 by Bronzewing at on Thursday, August 02, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (8/2/2007 UTC) at

"There are still the flowers to buy." Page 9, The Hours, by Michael Cunningham.

Journal Entry 6 by beaulivre from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, August 11, 2007

I''ve read this book and really enjoyed it. And I love ''Mrs Dalloway'' and most things written by Virginia Woolf. I''m taking it out of the book bag to have another read and then posting it to the winner of the latest Happy Smile Day RABCK with another book I''m sending as it''s on her wishlist!

Thanks for passing it on Bronzewing!

I like your idea of picking a quote!

Journal Entry 7 by beaulivre at on Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (8/14/2007 UTC) at

Journal Entry 8 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Thanks beaulivre, two books from my wishlist!! I am totally spoilt.

I really enjoyed the movie when it came out, and this book has been in the back of my mind ever since, and then once it got listed as one of the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (what a threatening title!) my interest was re-ignited.

I look forward to reading this! And thanks, once again, to crimson-tide for organising the sweepstake.

And methinks I should find my copy of Mrs Dalloway and dust that off too!

Journal Entry 9 by tqd at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, February 18, 2011

Where to start with this marvellous book? It's the tale of three women: Virginia Woolf, trying to write her masterpiece Mrs Dalloway in the 1920s; Laura Brown, who is trying to read Mrs Dalloway in the 1950s; and Clarissa, who is a modern day Mrs Dalloway.

Makes me think I should read Mrs Dalloway. Or actually anything by Virginia Woolf, it's been a very long time since I picked up one of her books, and Michael Cunningham's writing is so evocative of my memory of her beautiful writing that I'd love to dive back into one of her books.

I knew the basic plot of the book from seeing the movie a few years ago. But having it revealed slowly and so beautifully in the book meant that it was a revelation all over again.

I haven't got plans for this as yet, but I promise I shall keep it travelling, after its long sojourn here!

UPDATE 11 March 2011: And I've put this in the Oz VBB to start its journey again...

UPDATE 14 March 2011: And selected by amberc! I'll get it in the post asap.

Journal Entry 10 by tqd at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/16/2011 UTC) at Sydney, New South Wales Australia

In the post to amberc today.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 11 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, March 19, 2011

I tink this arrived yesterday, but yesterday I was busy with the birth of my 2nd grandson.

Adding to Mt TBR.

Journal Entry 12 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, November 15, 2013

Beautifully written.

Journal Entry 13 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, March 28, 2014

Released 6 mos ago (3/28/2014 UTC) at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia

Book of the Month Release - March

Journal Entry 14 by wingalexiapapawing at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Friday, April 25, 2014

The book is with me, thank you! :)