corner corner Homegoing

Homegoing
by Yaa Gyasi | Literature & Fiction
Registered by FraukeRo of Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on 1/6/2018

status (set by Andrasthe): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by FraukeRo from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Saturday, January 06, 2018

Wow, what a book! I tried to summarize it in different ways, but I always get back to just calling it "Black History". All of it... well, not all, but much more than I would have expected to fit in a book of only 300 pages. From the early days of slave trade in Africa, through different phases in the US and up to modern problems of segregated cities, all following the fate of two sisters and their descendants. Gripping, moving, cruel, bittersweet. Loved it!

Journal Entry 2 by FraukeRo at Großefehn, Niedersachsen Germany on Friday, April 06, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (4/6/2018 UTC) at Großefehn, Niedersachsen Germany

Now travelling as a ray: http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/550860

* Edwardstreet (New Zealand)
* peneolopewanders (Switzerland)
* Andrasthe (Austria)
* Arvores (Portugal)
* conto (Portugal)
* peacemonger84 (US)
* mcsar (Canada)

Journal Entry 3 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, April 27, 2018

I feel so lucky to have received this letter box surprise which will be perfect for the 666 challenge - thank you

Journal Entry 4 by wingEdwardstreetwing at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (5/2/2018 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

On its way to the next reader. This was perfect for the 666 challenge, thank you.
I like the way it linked the family over several centuries, from the villages of Ghana to the nightclubs of Harlem.

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, May 15, 2018

This has arrived safely in Switzerland on a rather foggy day... I'll try to get to it soon but have a few other books that have to go first. Thanks so much for making this available, and for sending it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, June 10, 2018

For some reason I never saw the series Roots when it was all the rage - I was living in the wrong country, perhaps no TV at that point... I'm not sure why. A few weeks ago a colleague wanted to show it to students in his African American history class and I went along when he projected the first episodes. In some ways this reminds me of that - an interlacing of fates and destinies, a family making its way forward despite all the obstacles set in its path. I'm not sure how long ago I signed up for this bookcrossing ring, but it washed up on this fertile shore, adding ballast to some knowledge and understanding of this reality of our world's past. Many years ago book-man-8 launched a several year long spiral with the theme of slavery, and so my awareness of the middle passage and other aspects was again strengthened by reading this.
Aside from the historical content, the author has successfully brought to life and made vivid the characters and places. Grateful for this read.
I've written twice to the next in line, and have an address for her from 2014, but hesitate to send it there without confirmation that it's still correct. Hopefully I can send it on soon. Thanks FraukeRo for making this available.

Journal Entry 7 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (6/19/2018 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

After exercising a tiny bit of patience and sleuth work (and the German forum), I was able to track down the next in the ring - mainly just poor timing - my messages went out when Andrasthe was away from the internet. Anyway, this now heads off to Austria. Thanks so much for making this available, thanks for sending. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAndrasthewing at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Sunday, June 24, 2018

got it