corner corner Swordbird

Swordbird
by Nancy Yi Fan | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 12/29/2017

status (set by YogiSchoko): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, December 29, 2017

This book first caught my attention several years ago, when the author was interviewed on the radio. Born in China but immigrated to the US and living in Florida, Nancy Yi Fan, then twelve-year-old, wrote this story in response to the wars and terrorism she saw in the world around her.

The story of warring birds is interesting, but it is also something you would expect written by a younger author, and enjoyed by a younger reader. It's not the type of children's book that would enchant readers of all ages.

While I won't want heavy editing to take away the true voice of the author, but at least some inconsistency should be fixed. One bird has scrubbed itself clean after an attack and then a few scenes later appeared again, dripping in mess. Also, it's easy for a bird to say "I'll use your hides to make boots" when they obviously don't wear boots... These birds use wings to fly and claws to hold swords, arrows, goblets of wine, and everything. Using the hides to make belt or vest would make more sense.

Reserving this for the BC Con in Bordeaux.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing at Bookcrossing Convention Bordeaux 2018 in Bordeaux, Aquitaine France on Thursday, April 19, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (4/21/2018 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Bordeaux 2018 in Bordeaux, Aquitaine France

Hi! How wonderful you've found one of my books! Thank you so much for checking out the journal. I would really appreciate if you can take a moment to let me know you have it now. Trust me, it'll totally make my day to hear from one of my "wild" books.

Bookcrossing is a wonderful online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are also curious to see how far and wide our books can travel. I would appreciate if you can make a journal entry on this book so we know where the book has been. You don't have to set up an account.

Feel free to keep this book, return it to where you found it, or pass it on to the next reader. If you sign up as a member, you will hear from the book as it travels and gets journaled. Feel free to explore the BookCrossing site, and visit our forum to meet other booklovers. Membership is confidential, free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingYogiSchokowing at Quelque part à Bordeaux in Bordeaux, Aquitaine France on Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (4/22/2018 UTC) at Quelque part à Bordeaux in Bordeaux, Aquitaine France

Released during the release walk at the end of the Convention.

Enjoy reading!