corner corner NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and How to Think Smarter About People Who Think Differently

Journal Entry 1 by LittleSuz from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, December 17, 2017

From the Inside Flap

Winner of the 2015 Samuel Johnson Prize for non-fiction

A New York Times bestseller

Foreword by Oliver Sacks

What is autism: a devastating developmental condition, a lifelong disability, or a naturally occurring form of cognitive difference akin to certain forms of genius? In truth, it is all of these things and more - and the future of our society depends on our understanding it.

Following on from his groundbreaking article 'The Geek Syndrome', Wired reporter Steve Silberman unearths the secret history of autism, long suppressed by the same clinicians who became famous for discovering it, and finds surprising answers to the crucial question of why the number of diagnoses has soared in recent years.

Going back to the earliest autism research and chronicling the brave and lonely journey of autistic people and their families through the decades, Silberman provides long-sought solutions to the autism puzzle while casting light on the growing movement of 'neurodiversity' and mapping out a path towards a more humane world for people with learning differences. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Journal Entry 2 by LittleSuz at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, December 17, 2017

I wish I'd written a review of this after first finishing it a couple of months ago. I had a lot of thoughts about it at the time, but now I've forgotten most and I need to write this entry in a rush!

But this is a fascinating exploration of the history of autism. As a former history student I can see plenty to criticise (very selective use of evidence, poor referencing, a teleological view of the subject whereby all changes over time are merely 'advances' towards a particular worldview).

But this isn't really a history book. It's a manifesto for neurodiversity and seeks to place autism within human society and history rather than being something to be hidden away or 'cured'.

Warning: parts of the narrative are extremely upsetting to read with detailed descriptions of child abuse. But it is a very worthwhile read.

Journal Entry 3 by LittleSuz at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, December 17, 2017

Released 10 mos ago (12/17/2017 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Old Gang meetup

If you are new to bookcrossing - welcome and congratulations for finding a book! Please leave a journal entry to let me and any other readers know where it has gone and what you thought of it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, December 18, 2017

Picked up at Old Gang Meetup and destined for my obcz - thank you

Journal Entry 5 by wingCassandra2020wing at The Glencorse Centre in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, January 19, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (1/10/2018 UTC) at The Glencorse Centre in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom

Released to obcz

Although this book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com, you don't have to be a member. It's perfectly OK to just take the book and enjoy it. Of course, if you can visit the website and let us know that you've picked it up, that would be even better - you don't even have to join, you can add your comments anonymously - you can also post your review when you've read it, then return it or pass it on to someone else.

If you do join Bookcrossing, you'll be able to see what happens to it afterwards - for ever!