corner corner Trespass

by Rose Tremain | Literature & Fiction
Registered by LindyLouMac of Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on 12/7/2017

status (set by sueelainep): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, December 07, 2017

This book has not been rated. In a silent valley stands an isolated stone farmhouse, the Mas Lunel. Its owner is Aramon Lunel, an alcoholic so haunted by his violent past that he's become incapable of all meaningful action, letting his hunting dogs starve and his land go to ruin. Meanwhile, his sister, Audrun, alone in her modern bungalow within sight of the Mas Lunel, dreams of exacting retribution for the unspoken betrayals that have blighted her life. Into this closed Cevenol world comes Anthony Verey, a wealthy but disillusioned antiques dealer from London. Now in his sixties, Anthony hopes to remake his life in France, and he begins looking at properties in the region. From the moment he arrives at the Mas Lunel, a frightening and unstoppable series of consequences is set in motion. Two worlds and two cultures collide. Ancient boundaries are crossed, taboos are broken, a violent crime is committed. And all the time the Cevennes hills remain, as cruel and seductive as ever, unforgettably captured in this powerful and unsettling novel, which reveals yet another dimension to Rose Tremain's extraordinary imagination.

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, December 07, 2017

This is the first time I have read a book by Rose Tremain, not sure what I was expecting but it was certainly not this strange at times, somewhat dull read! Two sets of brother and sister siblings, all drawn together in remote France over the sale of a house, I did not find myself connecting with any of the characters and the storylines covering childhood abuse, lesbianism and homosexuality just all added to it all feeling rather depressing. I have no idea if this book follows the normal style of this author's writing, if this is the case I am not sure that I will be reading her work again. Maybe I was just not in the right mood, what do you think?

Journal Entry 3 by LindyLouMac at Air Ambulance Charity Shop in Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, December 09, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (12/9/2017 UTC) at Air Ambulance Charity Shop in Twywn, Wales United Kingdom

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading

Journal Entry 4 by sueelainep at Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 12, 2018

Well written as always by Rose Tremain but the subject matter is very depressing. I preferred her previous books, Music and Silence and The Colour. I agree with LindyLouMac, that the characters are hard to identify with. It's often a brutal read and the French landscape appears uninviting. The authors powers of description make the reader feel the harshness and remoteness of the area. I didn't particularly enjoy the book and will willingly let it go. The book is now in London to be released.