corner corner Epitaph: A Novel of the O.K. Corral

Epitaph: A Novel of the O.K. Corral
by Mary Doria Russell | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/25/2017

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 25, 2017

I got this hardcover at Barnes and Noble. I enjoyed Russell's unusual and character-rich science fiction novel The Sparrow; this book, about the gunfight at the O. K. Corral, looks to be a bit of a change of pace! (It's a follow-on to her novel Doc, though it stands alone fairly well.)

The book opens with a suggestion to the reader to consider how thirty seconds can change - and end - lives, and tarnish reputations for ages to come; thinking of the gunfight as it happened, built on anger and vengeance, and taking place in less than a minute...

The novel follows the historical characters and a variety of others through the events of that day - and on into the future, wrapping up the book as the TV series "Wyatt Earp" airs, its theme song resonating. [Since I grew up during the era of TV Westerns, I recall them fondly, despite their frequent variance from reality!]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 31 Cross St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (8/16/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 31 Cross St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this warm day; hope someone enjoys it! (Semi-themed release - Doc Holliday was a dentist when he wasn't drinking, gambling, or shooting people, so I left this book at the LFL outside a dentist's office {wry grin}.)

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 One Word Title release challenge. ***