corner corner Conan Doyle, Detective: The True Crimes Investigated by the Creator of Sherlock Holmes

Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, November 13, 2017

A book that I recently acquired for the purposes of giving it away.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Friday, December 22, 2017

Dec 22, 2017 · edit
liked it
bookshelves: true-crime

This book was part true crime stories, part biography if Conan Doyle. I learned about some famous British crimes that I knew of but not about (Crippen, brides of the bath) and more about Doyle's fascination with spiritualism. I probably would have enjoyed the book more if I hadn't taken such a dislike to the author (Costello, not Doyle). His tone annoyed me and the casual assertion in the early pages of the book that one woman was a kleptomaniac/hoarder because of hysteria due to PMS (in a book written in 1991) and was a common problem did NOT endear him to me. (Again, this was not Doyle's belief, but the author of the book about Doyle; offensive either way, but more excusable in an older man with Victorian roots.)

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 20, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (1/20/2018 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

This book is going to meet-up with me today and hopefully going home with someone else.

Journal Entry 4 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 21, 2018

Picked this up at the BCinDC meetup today. Seems 6of8 could have just handed all these to me--I went home with so many of her books! heehee!

I enjoy Sherlock Holmes stories and know a little bit about Conan Doyle from various fictional accounts. I look forward to getting to know this part of him!