corner corner The Lost and Forgotten Languages of Shanghai

The Lost and Forgotten Languages of Shanghai
by Ruiyan Xu | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingDelphi_Readerwing of Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on 11/12/2017

status (set by Lubiette): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingDelphi_Readerwing from Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Sunday, November 12, 2017

This book starts its journey with BookCrossing from Delphi,Greece
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"When an explosion reverberates through the Swan Hotel in Shanghai, it is not just shards of glass and rubble that come crashing down. Li Jing and Zhou Meiling find their once-happy marriage rocked to its foundations. For Li Jing, his head pierced by a shard of falling glass, awakens from brain surgery only able to utter the faltering phrases of the English he learnt as a child - a language that Meiling and their young song Pang Pang cannot speak.
When an American neurologist arrives, tasked with teaching Li Jing to speak fluently again, she is as disorientated as her patient in this bewitching, bewildering city. As doctor and patient grow closer, feelings neither of them anticipated begin to take hold. Feelings that Meiling, who must fight to keep both her husband's business and her family afloat, does not need a translator to understand."

~~~~~~To the person who found this book:~~~~~~

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. Drop a few lines on where and how you found this book and what you thought of it. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, I encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold.

This book is now yours, and you can keep it if you choose, although I would love you to read and then share it. You can pass it on someone you know or release it once again in the wild, leaving it on a park bench, a phone booth, a hostel lobby...wherever you think it's suitable for the book to continue it's journey. If you pass it along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Wednesday, November 15, 2017

I found the themes explored in this novel quite interesting (power of language and speech for mutual understanding and communication, cultural differences, devotion and faith to people and much more) and the writing quite moody in an engaging way, but I found the main premise too farfetched, the characters too stereotypical, many plot twists felt forced and the book got quite predictable and somehow dragged out.

Maybe this is due to different cultural background (and this is a theme explored on the book too among other things), but I found that the book's characters often created quite a drama when there shouldn't be any and remained quiet when there should actually be some strong feelings and reactions. Many developments feel far too unreal, especially given the short time frame all this is supposed to happen and to be honest, although I've met many people acting as the characters of the book, well, this doesn't mean I liked them.

My review would end up a huge list of spoilers if I mention here all the points I found unconvincing. And unfortunately I need some credibility to enjoy reading a book. There were so many key points that I couldn't swallow here, that at times I had to force myself to keep reading.

On the other hand, at those moments, a nice description of the city or of a character's feelings would show up on next paragraph, or finally some plot development, albeit weak, that would spark my interest somewhat. Thus, although it is a slow read and not excellent, I finished the book in two long afternoons. Recommended? Maybe. I can see people having very different opinions on this novel and of course you wouldn't know before you try it : )
I know that me, I'd like to read something else from this author sometime in the future...

Journal Entry 3 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, December 04, 2017

Released 9 mos ago (12/4/2017 UTC) at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

This book is now traveling to Athens in order to fulfill a wish : )
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Lubiette at Kallithea, Attica Greece on Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Safely arrived today with a postcard from the famous (and so beautiful) Delphi archeological site, thank you so much ! To be read in 2018 for the authors'names ABC challenge, X is such a rare letter, I can't be more happy :-)

Journal Entry 5 by Lubiette at Kallithea, Attica Greece on Saturday, January 27, 2018

The book is impressively welll written with a beautiful choice of words and sentences perfectly enhancing the importance of languages. However, the characters and the way they act are not very credible, too superficial and sometimes irrelevant.

Journal Entry 6 by Lubiette at Chinese restaurant Chang's House in Kallithea, Attica Greece on Friday, February 16, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (2/16/2018 UTC) at Chinese restaurant Chang's House in Kallithea, Attica Greece

SSM Chinese New Year : Year of the Dog