corner corner A Conjuring of Light: A Novel (Shades of Magic)

A Conjuring of Light: A Novel (Shades of Magic)
by V. E. Schwab | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by Minerva101 of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 11/11/2017

status (set by megami-no-ushi): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Minerva101 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 11, 2017

It was a brilliant conclusion to the trilogy. Equally exciting and heartbreaking. I love how V. E. Schwab has succeeded in turning fantasy tropes on their head while writing one of the most inventive fantasy trilogies ever. I eagerly look forward to following V. E. Schwab and reading everything she ever writes!

From Indigo.ca
Witness the fate of beloved heroes and notorious foes in the heart-stopping conclusion to V.E. Schwab's New York Times bestselling Shades of Magic trilogy.
As darkness sweeps the Maresh Empire, the once precarious balance of power among the four Londons has reached its breaking point.
In the wake of tragedy, Kell-once assumed to be the last surviving Antari-begins to waver under the pressure of competing loyalties. Lila Bard, once a commonplace-but never common-thief, has survived and flourished through a series of magical trials. But now she must learn to control the magic before it bleeds her dry.
An ancient enemy returns to claim a city while a fallen hero tries to save a kingdom in decay. Meanwhile, the disgraced Captain Alucard Emery of the Night Spire collects his crew, attempting a race against time to acquire the impossible.

Journal Entry 2 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 11, 2017

Released 10 mos ago (11/11/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the Calgary Bookcrossing meeting to find a new reader

Journal Entry 3 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 12, 2017

Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing November meet-up. Whoo, book three! Can't wait to see how this ends.

Journal Entry 4 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, December 14, 2017

I have to say it, but I'm slightly disappointed with the resolution. Like how book two felt like mostly filler, the plot here felt a little drawn out. There's a lot of waiting around in the first half of the book. I get that the characters are overwhelmed, but Kell and Lila needed to be a bit more proactive. When the action shifts to the sea and the floating black market, that was fun, but it's really convenient that Luc finds that Antari ring. I guess the first book will always remain my favourite.

It's interesting that not everything is tied up neatly. We never learn how Lila lost her eye or any more about Kell's mysterious background. More books set in this world would be great. You don't necessarily need to follow Kell and Lila, but the setting is just too rich not to have more adventures set in it.

Journal Entry 5 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, January 12, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (1/13/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing January meet-up.

Journal Entry 6 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018

Picked up at the January meeting!