corner corner Funny Girl

Funny Girl
by Nick Hornby | Humor
Registered by wingFemke85wing of Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on 10/28/2017

status (set by VintageVanguard): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingFemke85wing from Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Saturday, October 28, 2017

I read this book a while ago.

Journal Entry 2 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Friday, January 19, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (1/19/2018 UTC) at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden

The book started on its journey

Journal Entry 3 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, January 25, 2018

Thank you Femke85 !

Journal Entry 4 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, January 25, 2018

Bookray order :
Femke85 - Sweden - EU
Icila - France - Int´l
Brunton11 - UK - Int´l
Penelopewonders - Switzerland - EU
Delphi_reader - Greece - Int´l

Journal Entry 5 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, February 02, 2018

I liked the first chapter a lot but was disappointed in the rest. I gave up.

Journal Entry 6 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, February 05, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (2/5/2018 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to brunton11.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbrunton11wing at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 10, 2018

Arrived safely today.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbrunton11wing at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 22, 2018

This isn’t my usual cup of tea but I had it on my wishlist as it was on the Richard & Judy booklist and ... I reallly enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing femke85.

Posting off to penelopewanders today.

Journal Entry 9 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, February 27, 2018

This has not only arrived safely in Switzerland, but in what seems to be impeccable condition! Most impressive. I've read other books by this author and am curious to see how this one goes. I've a few other rings here so it might be a bit before I can get to this, but I hope it won't be too long. Thanks for sending and for including all the very cool bookcrossing swag as well!

Journal Entry 10 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, March 16, 2018

I began this on a one day trip and then went back to finish reading the book I had begun before starting this. Nick Hornby has two novels on the Swiss Matura reading list, so I was curious to read something else by him. This was very different from those and would probably not go down so well with the 16-19 year old crowd I teach Matura English to. As a grown up who does still remember the era described (ok, I was quite young, but still...) I enjoyed it a great deal. I kept meaning to check if the characters were in fact real, as intertwined as they were with real people from the past. An interesting and strangely moving read. This is here as a bookcrossing ring and will travel on soon - perhaps from France where they hopefully still have preferential book rates. I have written to confirm the next address.

Journal Entry 11 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (3/27/2018 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

I brought this to France where the bookrate is considerably better than what it would cost to send from Switzerland. This heads off to Greece now. Thanks so much for making it available.

Journal Entry 12 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Thursday, April 05, 2018

The book arrived in Delphi yesterday! Thank you everyone! I hope it won't take long before I read this : )

Journal Entry 13 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Saturday, April 14, 2018

I got to "know" Nick Hornby many years ago when I kept finding his books on many resort hotels I used to work to and I thought they were interesting and refreshing with a strong personal style. Since then, I've read most of his book in English, way before they were published in Greek - my native language- and now I often make a point to buy and read them in either language and keep them in my permanent collection. Thus, I couldn't resist on this book ray : )

This is the first time I read Funny Girl and although I think I enjoyed a few others of his books more than this, it was still a very entertaining and pleasant novel.

I find Nick Hornby a very British author, but in a personal and contemporary English way while his prose is flowing and easy, so that even a reader from different cultural background-like say...me- can read and enjoy his books without getting tired or consume tons of energy to get what it's all about.

To be honest I found some parts of this specific book maybe a bit dragged out at times comparing with other books of Nick Hornby and the end a bit dull, although predictable I guess. That said, the usual author's wit is present all around and I enjoyed reading this novel.

I found it an interesting insight of the specific era and area too, but been born in Greece on 1981, not in UK on 1950s or something, I think I missed some of the enjoyment and comprehension this book might have cause to other readers more familiar with the setting. The theme of the book is a bit more specific compared to say "A Long Way Down" or even "Slam" for example.

Anyhow, it was easy for me to get the concept of the book and still, while this is not my favorite Nick Hornby book, I spent a couple of pleasant afternoons reading it.

Good choice for a relaxing read!

Journal Entry 14 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at First Sentences, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 11, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (6/11/2018 UTC) at First Sentences, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

This book is now on its way to Germany as part of the First Sentences Virtual BookBox- Round 14. And then... Who knows?

Good Luck little book.

First Sentence: "She didn’t want to be a beauty queen, but as luck would have it, she was about to become one."

Journal Entry 15 by VintageVanguard at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Thursday, June 14, 2018

Arrived safely today! The summary sounds really interesting.