corner corner After Life

After Life
by Rhian Ellis | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingtime-travelerwing of Westchester, New York USA on 10/21/2017

status (set by time-traveler): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingtime-travelerwing from Westchester, New York USA on Saturday, October 21, 2017

Welcome to Bookcrossing! Please make a journal entry just to let us know this book's been caught. Maybe you'll want to read it but if not, just pass it along to a friend or wild release it again. Thanks - I hope you enjoy this site.

Discarded library book, purchased at a book sale.

Journal Entry 2 by wingtime-travelerwing at Westchester, New York USA on Sunday, December 31, 2017

I absolutely loved this book. It takes place in a small upstate NY town, where Naomi works as a medium (as does her mother and many of the residents) in a spiritualistic community. We learn on page 1 that Naomi is trying to secretly bury the body of her dead lover, Peter. As the book unfolds, it becomes so suspenseful...how did Peter die? We learn slowly, in bits and pieces. The psychics and mediums...are they fake, real, or a little of both? Will Naomi's secret remain a secret? I couldn't turn the pages fast enough!

Naomi's loving yet contradictory relationship with her mother is very realistic. The nostalgia that Naomi has for her childhood in New Orleans, her relationship with the little girl she babysits for, her struggle with loneliness while at the same time preferring to be alone...all of these were written about with such great detail that I felt I was right there with her.

There was just enough magical realism throughout to balance out the story, plus, a perfect ending!

Journal Entry 3 by wingtime-travelerwing at Ossining Public Library Cafe in Ossining, New York USA on Sunday, February 04, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (2/4/2018 UTC) at Ossining Public Library Cafe in Ossining, New York USA

I left this on the Free Books book shelf.
Released for ekorren's 52 Towns in 52 Weeks Release Challenge