corner corner Of Mice and Men

Of Mice and Men
by John Steinbeck | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 10/20/2017

status (set by KateKintail): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, October 20, 2017

This is one of 92 books that came in to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) as a donation on September, 23, 2017 from my friend in New Boston, New Hampshire. Thank you very, very much!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, October 20, 2017

Released 10 mos ago (10/20/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, October 28, 2017

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (12/10/2017 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

I am releasing this book at the annual BookCrossing Holiday Party at the home of authorauthor. This book is going to the Book Buffet.

--------------------------------------------------

I'm releasing this book for the following BookCrossing challenges:

***The 2017 What's in a Name Release Challenge hosted by DragonGoddess . The title of this book contains the name AN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Monday, January 01, 2018

One of the classics that I haven't read. And it's short.

Journal Entry 6 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Friday, January 05, 2018

This book was one I had heard about for years but never read because I knew it had a depressing ending. But I had a goal of reading some classics that were new to me. I found that the moral questions posed by this book were subtly challenging. For instance, my family has always valued people with intellectual and physical disabilities and I personally am livid at the idea of eugenics. But when my cat had cancer and became very ill, I had her euthanized to prevent any further suffering and thought how sad it is that we don't have a similar practice to reduce suffering for people when death is imminent. But what if you are forced to choose between these positions? This is probably why this book has the reputation it does.

Journal Entry 7 by wing6of8wing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 20, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (1/20/2018 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

This book is going to meet-up with me today and hopefully going home with someone else.

Journal Entry 8 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 21, 2018

From today's BC-in-DC meeting, to be released. This book has been subject to frequent challenges, so I'll set it aside to release during Banned Books Week.

Journal Entry 9 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 21, 2018

I didn't come home with this book today, but I saw it at the BCinDC meetup today. I read it for the first time in the summer of 2017, so I wanted to leave a review here.

I chose to read this book partly because it's one everyone seems to have read except for me (in my high school advanced classes, we were specifically not allowed to read the "easy Steinbeck" like this) and partly because I was pretty sure I knew what I was in for. Countless shows, books, and movies reference this work or parody it, and I wanted to be "in" on the joke finally. Turns out that Highlander episode was pretty darn spot-on with its interpretation of it.

Thing I didn't like: I had an idea that there might be a bit of a body count racked up in this one, and I was prepared for that. What I wasn't prepared for were all of the animal deaths. There were SO MANY dead animals. I had a hard time with that emotionally. People dying in books I can deal with. But animals... that's harder for me.

Thing I liked: Steinbeck's setting descriptions in this book are my new favorite. There are only a few times he goes into the details about setting, but every single time he does, he not only paints a clear picture but does so in a way that makes every single detail ALSO somehow relevant to the story or character development at the same time. It was magical the way he moved us forward on multiple levels at once, with no throw away words. His character voices were also fantastic--each unique and strong. But the setting descriptions... I can't get over how he did that.

I don't know if "enjoy" is the right word to use, but I did like the book. It packs a strong punch but also captures human nature well--the good and the bad. I'm glad I finally read it.