corner corner The Metaphysical Touch: A Novel

The Metaphysical Touch: A Novel
by Sylvia Brownrigg | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingJ4shawwing of Boise, Idaho USA on 10/17/2017

status (set by J4shaw): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingJ4shawwing from Boise, Idaho USA on Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Duplicate copy
About the Book
It is 1991, and Emily Piper is a graduate student finishing her dissertation on metaphysics when her home and all her belongings are destroyed in the great Oakland-Berkeley fires. With her life’s work in cinders, she retreats in shock to the small coastal town of Mendocino, sharing a home there with a newly divorced woman and her seven-year-old daughter. It is then that Emily, known as Pi, becomes hesitantly involved in the early days of Net chat rooms. Soon Pi wanders into the quixotic thoughts of JD, a mysterious figure living on America’s opposite coast, who is posting his Diery (an early Blog). What develops between these two searching souls is a tentative, stimulating and perilous relationship. Who is JD? And who, now, is Pi?

MY REVIEW
This took so long to get going that it almost spoilt it altogether.
Overall I enjoyed being whisked back to a time where internet was new and, well, clunky (all that plugging in, and it tying up your phone line) so this book took me somewhere nostalgic I guess.
I enjoy parallel storylines/threads, and did really get into the groove when it all got a bit more interesting in the 2nd half of the book.
An overall good read. I've got a few more books by this author, so will be keen to see how her writing develops in her more recent work.

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4shawwing at Little Free Library W Fringetree Street in Boise, Idaho USA on Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (10/18/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library W Fringetree Street in Boise, Idaho USA

Released at the Little Free Library on West Fringetree Street in Boise.