corner corner Quentins

Quentins
by Maeve Binchy | Literature & Fiction
Registered by sharalsbooks of Mesa, Arizona USA on Monday, March 22, 2004

status (set by rem_Lillyanna): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by sharalsbooks from Mesa, Arizona USA on Monday, March 22, 2004

Is it possible to tell the story of a generation and a city through the history of a restaurant?

Ella Brady thinks so. She wants to film a documentary about Quentins that will capture the spirit of Dublin from the 1970s to the present day. After all, the restaurant saw the people of a city become more confident in everything from their lifestyles to the food that they chose to eat. And Quentins has a thousand stories to tell: tales of love, of betrayal, of revenge; of times when it looked ready for success and of times when it seemed as if it must close in failure. But as Ella uncovers more of what has gone on at Quentins, she begins to wonder whether some secrets should be kept that way....

With QUENTINS, Maeve Binchy follows her bestselling SCARLET FEATHER with a new book that delivers the hallmark storytelling that has kept millions of her readers happy for more than twenty years.

Journal Entry 2 by sharalsbooks from Mesa, Arizona USA on Monday, March 22, 2004

I noticed several people have this book on their wish list so I am going to make this book into a bookray. Please PM me with your city and state and whether you are willing to ship internationally.

Once you receive the book, please post a journal entry letting the rest of us know the book has arrived. After reading it, please post another journal entry letting us all know what you thought about the book. PM the next person on the list for their address and mail it off to them. The last person on the list can release the book in the wild.

Mailing Order:

1. sharalsbooks - AZ
2. Eucalia - CA
3. Enidq - (skipped; no response to PM's for addy)
4. mlbish - IL
5. jarrett622 - VA
6. DinaJ62 - VA
7. MommyMace - MA
8. Sorgin - Spain

Journal Entry 3 by sharalsbooks at on Friday, April 02, 2004

Released on Friday, April 02, 2004 at BOOKRAY in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

The bookray has begun! This book is on its way to Eucalia in California. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 4 by Eucalia from Snoqualmie, Washington USA on Wednesday, April 07, 2004

I received this book in the mail today. Thanks, I can't wait to start reading it!

Journal Entry 5 by Eucalia from Snoqualmie, Washington USA on Tuesday, April 20, 2004

This is the story of Ella, a woman who is born and raised on Tara Road in Dublin, Ireland. After having her heart broken in a widely publicized scandal, Ella throws all her effort into helping to make a documentary about how Ireland is changing. What better way to do that, she thinks, than to tell the story of one of Dublins premier restaurants that also happens to be on Tara Road?

Maeve Binchy is a wonderful storyteller. I have loved every book of hers that I've read. Her books draw me in with their personable characters and intricate storylines. This book is slightly different from her others in that instead of just telling the story of Ella, we also hear the stories of many other characters who frequent Quentins. Interestingly, many of these other characters have been the stars of her previous books. This was fun, but also in a way annoying because I couldn't always remember which books the characters were from or what had happened in those books. While this new approach was an interesting break from her usual style, I think it detracted from the book rather than added to it and this is probably my least favorite of her books that I've read so far.

This book is an easy read and a bit predictable too, but I still found it to be very delightful. Other books by this same author that I recommend are Evening Class, Tara Road, and Circle of Friends

Journal Entry 6 by Eucalia at sent to bookcrosser in Mailed, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Released on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at sent to bookcrosser in Mailed, Bookring Controlled Releases.

I mailed this book to mlbish this morning.

Journal Entry 7 by mlbish from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, May 14, 2004

Received yesterday. Thanks very much! I am looking forward to reading it and will pass it on ASAP.

Journal Entry 8 by mlbish from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Another delightful story from Maeve Binchy. I always know what to expect when I pick up one of hers, and I like that. I know they will always warm my heart. I love how she has created a whole town of characters and can write books about them from different points of view, all the while including each one of them in each of her stories.

Released today to jarrett622. My deepest apologies for keeping this one too long. It got a little backed up at my house. Please don't send the BC thugs after me!!

Journal Entry 9 by jarrett622 from Galax, Virginia USA on Tuesday, July 06, 2004

This was at PO this morning along with 4 other books. :-D Not sure what order I'm reading these all in...

July 21. I finished this late last night. It was a great story. Binchy writes the most wonderful books.

I'll be sending this on its way to DinaJ62 next, as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 10 by DinaJ62 from Chesapeake, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 25, 2004

Found this waiting for me when I returned from vacation yesterday. I will read this week and sen on its way.

Journal Entry 11 by DinaJ62 from Chesapeake, Virginia USA on Thursday, July 29, 2004

Not my favorite Maeve Binchy book. I never really "liked" the main female character. The story was slow at times and ended very abruptly. Otherwise, an enjoyable story.
Sending on to Mommymace tomorrow.

Journal Entry 12 by MommyMace from Hopkinton, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, August 05, 2004

I received yesterday in the mail. After finishing the last few pages on my current book, I will be ready to begin this one...!

Journal Entry 13 by MommyMace from Hopkinton, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 17, 2004

I always enjoy a Maeve Binchy novel!! I love her characters. However, this is my least favorite ... I felt it was a bit predictable. I skimmed some of the chapters in the middle of the story to get back to the story of Ella and Don Richardson... The ending was good, but I felt too rushed at the end.

I will PM the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 14 by Sorgin from Cáceres, Cáceres Spain on Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Just got the books, I'll start with it as soon as I'm done with the other BRings in my TBR pile.

~Sorgin~

Journal Entry 15 by Sorgin from Cáceres, Cáceres Spain on Friday, September 17, 2004

It isn't one of my favourite Maeve Binchy books, the ending was a bit too predictable and the story seemed a bit too slow at times for my liking, but I enjoyed reading it.

** Still deciding what I'll do with it **

Journal Entry 16 by Sorgin from Cáceres, Cáceres Spain on Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sending it to Lillyanna.
Enjoy it!! ^^

Journal Entry 17 by rem_Lillyanna on Sunday, August 26, 2007

Received during my holidays. I really like Maeve Binchy and I hope I can enjoy this story a lot. Thanks very much Sorgin !!!