corner corner Long Life: Essays and Other Writings

Long Life: Essays and Other Writings
by Mary Oliver | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on 10/14/2017

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, October 14, 2017

This is an anthology of Oliver's work that is composed mainly of prose pieces with a few poems included as well. In general, I prefer her poetry to her prose, but I still enjoyed reading this book.

I had hoped for a bit more about her life with Molly Malone Cook. There was some of that, but I would have liked more. I also enjoyed her nature writing, which is a real strength of hers. There were three essays on Emerson and Hawthorne that seemed a bit out of place among the other material.

Bottom line... Mary Oliver never disappoints and this book was no exception.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at LGBTQ+ Mini-Bookbox, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 09, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (4/10/2018 UTC) at LGBTQ+ Mini-Bookbox, by mail -- Controlled Releases

I am including this book in the LGBTQ+ Mini-Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 27, 2018

I'm claiming this from the LGBTQ+ Mini-Bookbox; the essays on nature - and the ones on the works of Emerson and Hawthorne - caught my eye!

Later: Excellent collection here, from her personal memoirs to her literary essays. I think I liked this even better than her collections of poetry, and I did enjoy those. Among my favorite entries here: "Habits, Differences, and the Light That Abides," which includes personal comments on her relationship with Molly Cook: "M. and I have plagued each other with our differences for more than forty years. But it is also a tonic. M. will hardly look at a bush. She wants a speedboat; I want to sit down on the sand and look around and get dreamy; I want to see what spirits are peeking out of the faces of the roses..."

In her literary essays, "with every passing year the great old novels grow more quaint, but no less spectacular".

And the delightful poem "Carrying the Snake to the Garden" - I've rescued a number of snakes in my time...

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Heritage Rail Trail in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, June 18, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (6/19/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Heritage Rail Trail in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this very warm day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Allergic to A release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, July 02, 2018

I'm still enjoying!