corner corner Love's Lovely Counterfeit

Love's Lovely Counterfeit
by James M. Cain | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/13/2017

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, October 13, 2017

I found this softcover on the ongoing charity-sale shelves at a local Hannaford's. I've enjoyed Cain's better-known books, and was curious about this one. While I didn't love it as much as Double Indemnity, it does feature many similar motifs. Here, a man who's gradually become an enforcer for a mob - trying to avoid having to actually harm anyone but being dragged into worse and worse things - falls for one woman and has another fall for him, with increasingly messy complications. The next-to-last chapter has a marvelous transition from Things Are Going Really Well to Oh Crap, in a couple of paragraphs...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Rodgers Memorial Library in Hudson, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 09, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (2/9/2018 UTC) at Rodgers Memorial Library in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I donated this book to the ongoing book-sale shelves inside the library. (They sell donated books for low prices, with the proceeds going to library programs.) Hope the buyer enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Valentine release challenge. ***