corner corner Wine of Angels, The (Merrily Watkins Series)

Wine of Angels, The (Merrily Watkins Series)
by Phil Rickman | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingkinediwing of Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on 10/9/2017

status (set by Poodlesister): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingkinediwing from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, October 09, 2017

The new vicar had never wanted a picture-postcard parish - or a huge and haunted vicarage. Nor had she wanted to walk into a dispute over a controversial play about a seventeenth-century clergyman accused of witchcraft... a story that certain long-established families would rather remained obscure.

But this is Ledwardine, steeped in cider and secrets...

A paradise of cobbled streets and timber-framed houses. And also - as Merrily Watkins and her teenage daughter, Jane, discover - a village where horrific murder is a tradition that spans centuries.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, October 23, 2017

Bought this while on holiday in Herefordshire and very much liked its setting in Ledwardine with its black-and-white-houses and Ciderfarms everywhere. The lady in the bookshop told me the author lives locally and he certainly has got the local knowledge just right. The characters are quirky and likeable and I think this first book very nicely sets the scene for all the following novels. Good read

Journal Entry 3 by wingkinediwing at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, December 11, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (12/17/2017 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Welcome to Bookcrossing.

Thank you for catching this book! I hope that you enjoy it and will consider exploring this site and possibly joining. It is free and loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world!

Please feel free to keep this book for as long as you wish, and whenever you're ready, pass it on. Then watch its journey - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes a new journal entry. It's all confidential, free and fun (and addictive - but in a GOOD way)!

You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join the site, I hope that you will consider using me, kinedi, as the one who referred you.

Congratulations on finding a Bookcrossing book and Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, December 18, 2017

Caught at the Old Gang meet up. Thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, December 29, 2017

I couldn't quite decide how to rate this book. I really liked the idea for the plot and I found Merrily a very engaging character. I'm not sure the book needed to be quite as long a it was though. It felt like the author was trying to cram a bit too much in. I think it would have been better with some of the plotlines being stripped back. This hasn't put me off trying the following books in the series though.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, January 15, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (1/15/2018 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

And off it goes to Poodlesister as part of the wishlist tag game. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, January 18, 2018

Thanks for the wishlist book. I think I put it on my wishlist for ShirleyA who was after a copy but I'm going to read it before I pass it on to her! Thanks too for the great postcard of the carved Angel Piper in St Giles Cathedral.