corner corner The Kiss (The story of an obsession)

The Kiss (The story of an obsession)
by Hugo Vickers | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by snoopy56 of Ormesby St Margaret, Norfolk United Kingdom on 9/22/2017

status (set by daffodil-2): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by snoopy56 from Ormesby St Margaret, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, September 22, 2017

Hugo Vickers is a well known biographer, mainly of society figures such as Cecil Beaton and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. This book is a bit of an oddity. It is mainly the story of two elderly sisters that the author became friendly with as a teenager living in Windsor. The spinster sisters were probably typical of a generation born into a colonial lifestyle in the early part of the 20th century but on return to England the family struggled to maintain a similar lifestyle eventually leading to a descent into genteel poverty. The focus of the book is on one of the sisters, Joan, who in later life becomes obsessed with a much younger man who works at a retirement home for the well to do fallen on hard times.
It is a strange book padded out with a potted history of the family and various characters of their acquaintance. I'm not sure of the reason that the author felt compelled to tell the story and reading it, at times, felt quite voyeuristic.

Journal Entry 2 by snoopy56 at Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, September 22, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (9/22/2017 UTC) at Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Going on the book buffet at the 2017 unconvention.

Journal Entry 3 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 24, 2017

Picked up from the book buffet. Recommended by my good friend Snoopy56.

Journal Entry 4 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, November 02, 2017

REVIEW:- "I found it hard to get into this book at first and almost gave up on it but then it started to get more interesting and I stuck with it to the end. It was a rather sad and sorry true tale of two sisters with a very domineering mother who more or less prevented them from getting married and having independent lives. One of the sisters develops an obsession with a younger man which lasts for many years and probably would have responded to psychiatric treatment. I felt very sorry for the lady with the obsession and the object of her affection.
I felt that there was some unnecessary information included in the book but on the whole it was an enjoyable, if rather disturbing, read.

Journal Entry 5 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Ferry Inn in Horning, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, November 03, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (11/3/2017 UTC) at Ferry Inn in Horning, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book was left on top of a pile of magazines on a windowsill overlooking the river in the bar area on a mild sunny day.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.