corner corner See What I Have Done

See What I Have Done
by Sarah Schmidt | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingJ4shawwing of Boise, Idaho USA on 9/17/2017

status (set by amberC): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingJ4shawwing from Boise, Idaho USA on Sunday, September 17, 2017

About the Book:
Genre: Historical Mystery

Lizzie Borden took an ax
And gave her mother 40 whacks
When she saw what she had done
She gave her father 41.

Or did she?

On the morning of August 4, 1892, Lizzie Borden calls out to her maid, "Someone's killed Father." The brutal ax murder of Andrew and Abby Borden in their home in Fall River, Massachusetts, leaves little evidence and many unanswered questions. While neighbors struggle to understand why anyone would want to harm the respected Bordens, those close to the family have a different tale to tell - of a father with an explosive temper, a spiteful stepmother, and two spinster sisters, with a bond even stronger than blood, desperate for their independence.

As the police search for clues, Emma comforts an increasingly distraught Lizzie, whose memories of that morning flash in scattered fragments. Had she been in the barn or the pear arbor to escape the stifling heat of the house? When did she last speak to her stepmother? Were they really gone, and would everything be better now? Shifting among the perspectives of the unreliable Lizzie; her older sister, Emma; the housemaid, Bridget; and the enigmatic stranger, Benjamin, the events of that fateful day are slowly revealed through a high-wire feat of storytelling.

MY REVIEW

This one left a little to be desired.
I'm not sure if I was confused or just wholly underwhelmed by it, but it just really did nothing for me, and overall was just a hard slog throughout.
I got the dysfunctional family vibe, the rest was just a bit lost on me based on the writing being very underdeveloped and it just seemed to emphasise on abstract stuff that did nothing to bring it all together.
Since reading it, I've discovered that this is actually based on a true story of the accusations of Lizzie Bordon murdering her parents with an axe in 1892. I'm somehow now even less impressed!

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4shawwing at Mold, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Released 9 mos ago (11/14/2017 UTC) at Mold, Wales United Kingdom

Finally got this one in the post today, apologies for the delay in sending (it was double the price to send it from the USA so I was holding out until I came over "home" to the UK )

Released as part of the Wish List Tag Game - Parallel Thread

(I always add physical postage stamps to my packages. If you are not a collector yourself, check out the I collect postage stamps because... thread to find them a happy home.)

Journal Entry 3 by wingjeniwrenwing at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Monday, December 04, 2017

Received today in the post from the USA chosen by J4shaw from my wishlist . Thanks so much.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjeniwrenwing at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, May 20, 2018

I found this quite a page turner and liked the multiple narrator device which I thought very effective in creating tension.
This is now on the way to another bookcrosser for the Australasian Wishlist Tag Game.

Journal Entry 5 by wingjeniwrenwing at Larrakeyah, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, May 20, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (5/21/2018 UTC) at Larrakeyah, Northern Territory Australia

Posting to the Northern Territory for wishlist tag game recipient. Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Thanks for the tag.