corner corner See What I Have Done

About the Book:
Genre: Historical Mystery

Lizzie Borden took an ax
And gave her mother 40 whacks
When she saw what she had done
She gave her father 41.

Or did she?

On the morning of August 4, 1892, Lizzie Borden calls out to her maid, "Someone's killed Father." The brutal ax murder of Andrew and Abby Borden in their home in Fall River, Massachusetts, leaves little evidence and many unanswered questions. While neighbors struggle to understand why anyone would want to harm the respected Bordens, those close to the family have a different tale to tell - of a father with an explosive temper, a spiteful stepmother, and two spinster sisters, with a bond even stronger than blood, desperate for their independence.

As the police search for clues, Emma comforts an increasingly distraught Lizzie, whose memories of that morning flash in scattered fragments. Had she been in the barn or the pear arbor to escape the stifling heat of the house? When did she last speak to her stepmother? Were they really gone, and would everything be better now? Shifting among the perspectives of the unreliable Lizzie; her older sister, Emma; the housemaid, Bridget; and the enigmatic stranger, Benjamin, the events of that fateful day are slowly revealed through a high-wire feat of storytelling.

MY REVIEW

This one left a little to be desired.
I'm not sure if I was confused or just wholly underwhelmed by it, but it just really did nothing for me, and overall was just a hard slog throughout.
I got the dysfunctional family vibe, the rest was just a bit lost on me based on the writing being very underdeveloped and it just seemed to emphasise on abstract stuff that did nothing to bring it all together.
Since reading it, I've discovered that this is actually based on a true story of the accusations of Lizzie Bordon murdering her parents with an axe in 1892. I'm somehow now even less impressed!