corner corner Five on Brexit Island (Enid Blyton for Grown Ups)

Five on Brexit Island (Enid Blyton for Grown Ups)
by Bruno Vincent | Literature & Fiction
Registered by foreternity of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 9/15/2017

status (set by linguistkris): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by foreternity from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, September 15, 2017

Quite silly and sweet parody of The Famous Five with a Brexit-flavoured twist. Cute but not nearly enough lashings of ginger beer!

Journal Entry 2 by foreternity at -- By post or by hand --, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, September 15, 2017

Released 9 mos ago (9/15/2017 UTC) at -- By post or by hand --, Greater London United Kingdom

Added to Flutterbies9's random bookbox. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, October 09, 2017

Received in the return of my Random bookbox. I shall have a look through this but I suspect it will soon leave me on a further journey - after all it is not going to take over much time to get through :-)

Journal Entry 4 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, October 16, 2017

An amusement for a short period - it does not take long to get through this - this parody is well observed and some ironies are neatly encapsulated.

In truth I think this book is really for a 'certain' generation who were brought up on Enid Blyton books , or at least either were brought up on them or read them to their youngsters!! and on that score, I do have to agree that there is no enough ginger beer at all.

Going on a journey to go on a journey ...........

Journal Entry 5 by Flutterbies9 at HALLOWEEN RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, October 19, 2017

Released 7 mos ago (10/25/2017 UTC) at HALLOWEEN RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

I think you would be in a better release place than I for this book, so please do.

Journal Entry 6 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Five on Brexit Island looks a hoot, I've picked it up in shops but never read it. Indeed as you say, plenty of release opportunities for political commentary in a place with its own parliament. And that’s just 10 minutes’ walk away from my flat . . . in fact. Huge thanks you’s you lovely bookcrosser you for the utterly fabulous Halloween socks [with Glow in the Dark detailing!!!], various choc and gum edible treats, two wee Halloween, twinkly lights, and some choc chip cookies wonderful!
---------------------

Book blurb: Timmy was neutral, although, if he had understood the variety of sausages available on the European mainland, that would have been a factor.

Join Julian, George, Dick, Anne and Timmy the dog as they leave Britain to declare independence for Kirrin Island. But can their friendship survive the horrors of a referendum?

FIVE ON BREXIT ISLAND by BRUNO VINCENT () | ISBN: 978-1786483843 | Publisher: Quercus

Journal Entry 7 by rainbow3 at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, December 14, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (12/17/2017 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Sharply amusing - Planned BookCrossing ‘wild release’ during the Edinburgh BookCrosser’s
---------------------

Hello book finder, if you aren't familiar with BookCrossing – WELCOME!

Feel free to keep this book it is yours to do with as you wish, read it, share it, keep it, or pass it on to keep it travelling. I hope you will enjoy this book and make a little journal entry! You can leave notes anonymously. Check out BookCrossing - it's a fun community of readers! If you do join quoting bookcrosser – foreternity – as your referrer would be very gratifying. Thank you and HAPPY READING!MeetUp at the Filmhouse Sunday 17th December.

Journal Entry 8 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Picked up at our Annual Christmas Meet up. Being one of those darn European citizens living in the UK, Brexit has been the pain of my life for last 18 months so a bit of light entertainment in these matters will be appreciated and yes, also of a certain age of readers who grew up with the Famous Five

Journal Entry 9 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, December 21, 2017

Quick read on the couch last night as been asked to bring it to Germany with me at Christmas for fellow bookcrosser linguistkris.

Had me laugh out loud a few times about the Brexit ironies and European cheeses and sausages :o) Kinda cemented my opinion about Brexit -- or shall we call it Regrexit too ??

Quick and amusing read so it's ready to move on !

Journal Entry 10 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, December 21, 2017

Reserved for linguistkris

Journal Entry 11 by wingmiss_malihiniwing at Ratingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, January 20, 2018

Better late then never... I'm sorry, that I forgot to journal the book. After a stop-over at my place it will continue to linguistkris today.
Off we go to the meet-up in La Piazza for some pasta, pizza and BOOKS!

Journal Entry 12 by wingmiss_malihiniwing at La Piazza in Mettmann, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, January 20, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (1/20/2018 UTC) at La Piazza in Mettmann, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Dear book, please meet linguistkris. Linguistkris, this is "Five in Brexit Island"

Journal Entry 13 by winglinguistkriswing at Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, January 21, 2018

Oh whee!
This is one of those little bookcrossing marvels: A few days before Christmas, I spotted this book floating by in the "recently caught" box at the top right of this website. Intrigued by the title, I clicked on it and really liked what I saw. I've been listening to too much Radio 4 to not go bonkers over something like this!
When I met miss_malihini the next day, I implored her to ask her friend kinedi for a favour: Could she possibly inquire after this book she journalled the other day...? I knew I was in luck when I heard that kinedi was in fact coming to visit, so the book could even be handed over in person.
And here it finally is -- looking even better in person and somehow managing to perfectly embody the quaint charme of the "Five" that I love and at the same time allowing me to hope for some quite up-to-date social commentary.

A big thank you to all previous journallers who made this encounter possible!