corner corner Defending Jacob: A Novel

Defending Jacob: A Novel
by William Landay | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 9/11/2017

status (set by AnonymousFinder): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, September 11, 2017

This is one of 20 books donated on 08/14/17 to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) by my Aspen Hill neighbor who is a talented fiber artist. Thank you very much!

I read another copy of this book in 2013. This is what I wrote about it after I read it...

I began this novel by listening to it on CD and was mesmerized by the narration performance of Grover Gardner who made an excellent Andy Barber, the assistant district attorney whose 14-year-old son Jacob was indicted for murder of a fellow student at McCormick Middle School. I totally identified with Andy's indignation and disbelief at the turn of events in this story. His anguish was palpable and believable.

While I was listening to this book, my husband had simultaneously been reading the hard copy. It was a race for both of us to finish, but I won simply because I found the novel so engaging that, by the time I had gotten to its midpoint, I literally could not put it down.

In addition, I could not believe how engrossed I became in the courtroom testimony as well as the questions of prosecuting attorney Neal Legiudice and defense attorney Jonathan Klein. That is so unlike me. As a parent, I totally felt what Andy Barber was feeling. Throughout most of this book, I really had no idea if Jacob was guilty or innocent. I did not guess the story's trajectory, another factor which made reading it fun. If more "legal thrillers" were as interesting as this novel, I might even become a fan of this genre one day.

My only tiniest criticism of this book is that it seemed as if it had four distinct endings. Let me explain. The crescendo of the story ended and the result of the court case was revealed. Ending one. Then another short story ensued. Ending two. Then there was a peaceful lull. Ending three. Then there was a crisis. Ending four. The last three endings seemed tacked on. I liked the first ending (which wasn't the ending at all) the best. I loved the experience of reading this story and look forward to reading other works by this new-to-me author.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Released 10 mos ago (9/19/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book for the following BookCrossing challenge:

***The 2017 You're Such an Animal Release Challenge hosted by Secretariat. This book has the word COB in its title.

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, October 02, 2017

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Free Library #11445 (18th & Summit Pl. NW) in Washington, District of Columbia USA on Saturday, October 07, 2017

Released 9 mos ago (10/7/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library #11445 (18th & Summit Pl. NW) in Washington, District of Columbia USA

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at St. John, US Virgin Islands US Virgin Islands on Sunday, January 21, 2018

Excellent and riveting, read it in 2 days! Twists and turns galore.