corner corner 84, Charing Cross Road

84, Charing Cross Road
by Helene Hanff | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/13/2017

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, September 13, 2017

I found this good-condition softcover at the ongoing book-sale in the Milford NH public library, and nabbed it for another release copy of this charming memoir.

"84 Charing Cross Road" is simply a series of letters exchanged between a crusty New York writer and a knowledgeable London bookshop clerk from 1949 to the '60s. The love of books and the details of daily life at either end of the correspondence gives the book a thoroughly charming tone. Anglophiles and bibliophiles should love this one!

The whole thing is quotable, but here's one charming bit, just to provide the flavor; Helene has received another book from Frank, the bookshop clerk, and is describing her pleasure in finding that its pages weren't even cut, adding: "Did I tell you I finally found the perfect page-cutter? It's a pearl-handled fruit knife. My mother left me a dozen of them, I keep one in the pencil cup on my desk. Maybe I go with the wrong kind of people but i'm just not likely to have twelve guests all sitting around simultaneously eating fruit."

[The book inspired a stage adaptation, as well as a 1987 film.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 88 Hemlock Rd in Sudbury, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (9/19/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library, 88 Hemlock Rd in Sudbury, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in this charming Little Free Library on this drizzly day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2017 Movie release challenge. ***