corner corner Saville

Saville
by David Storey | Literature & Fiction
Registered by BookCrosser of Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, March 21, 2004

status (set by tania-in-nc): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by BookCrosser from Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, March 21, 2004

Saville, a coal miner's son (Yorkshire in the 1940s) wins a scholarship to go to grammar school and with it a chance to escape the poverty and narrowness of his upbringing.

Journal Entry 2 by BookCrosser at on Sunday, April 03, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (4/4/2005 UTC) at

Book is travelling to Australia.

Journal Entry 3 by peggysmum from Pearce, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, April 13, 2005

It got here yesterday! Wow that was fast.

Thank you so much for your generosity BookCrosser - I'm looking forward to reading this one soon.

Journal Entry 4 by peggysmum from Pearce, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, April 22, 2005

Ring participants:

fushmush (New South Wales, Australia)
Jenatleisure (England)
<--- it's here
dodau (England)
jazz-ee2 (England)
Lillyanna (Spain)
martinburo (Germany)
lady-anglophile (Kuwait)
tania-in-nc (North Carolina, USA)
dospescadso (NY, USA)
blurbren (Malaysia)
meganh (Victoria, Australia)
tantan (Queensland, Australia)
back to peggysmum (Australian Capital Territory, Australia)

Journal Entry 5 by peggysmum from Pearce, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I'm sending this out on the Booker ring unread - I'm rather behind with everything ATM, so this one can do the rounds first.

Off to fushmush.

Journal Entry 6 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, September 02, 2005

*sigh* yet another Booker bookring to add to the pile.

Journal Entry 7 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, October 16, 2005

A very dense book; it took me forever to get through it. I did enjoy this book, but I found it very depressing.

Colin is the son of a Coal Miner and a housewife. He is awarded a scholarship to an exclusive school. His father believes he will be able to escape a life of poverty through education. In the end, Colin is left in nowhere land. He is not welcomed by the middle class; his teachers, class mates, and their families only pretend to accept him. He is also knows how the "other half" lives, so is unable to live happily with his family.

Waiting for an address so I can send it on.

Update (24/10/2005): No response from Jenatleisure, will try again.
Update (31/10/2005): Posted to Jenatleisure

Journal Entry 8 by Jenatleisure from Chobham, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, November 18, 2005

sorry didnt realise I hadnt journalled this when it arrived.

I just couldnt get into this one, too much going on in my real life at the moment so I am going to send on.

Journal Entry 9 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 07, 2006

Arrived yesterday. TBR next

Journal Entry 10 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 28, 2006

The story of a boy growing up in a mining comunity in the 40's & 50's. gritty and true to life an interesting tale.

Journal Entry 11 by dodau at Surface Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 02, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (6/2/2006 UTC) at Surface Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 12 by jazz-ee2 from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 05, 2006

Arrived today, looks my type of book, will try to read it next. Thanks, dodau!

Journal Entry 13 by martinburo from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Thanks

Journal Entry 14 by martinburo from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, February 09, 2007

Oh, I sent this to tania-in-nc two weeks ago, after I couldn't get hold of lady-anglophile.
I liked it, I even thought it was above average for my high standards. (No, I'm not suggesting that I have such a discerning taste, only that I'm fairly good at picking books to read that I will like.) And though it has given me food for thought, it somehow left me with the feeling that, but for a flaw that I can't put my finger on, it could have been better. I would have liked to say that I don't see the point of writing a book with unlikeable people in it, but that can't be right, because it would be an argument for reading Mills and Boon books, which I wouldn't advocate.
If anyone understands what I'm trying to say and can suggest a reason for my wanting more, I would be grateful.

Journal Entry 15 by tania-in-nc from Mooresville, North Carolina USA on Saturday, March 03, 2007

The book safely arrived here this afternoon. Thanks!

Journal Entry 16 by tania-in-nc from Mooresville, North Carolina USA on Thursday, April 05, 2007

Randomly chosen to be next after The Stories of Eva Luna by Isabel Allende, c. 1989

update April 2007 -- I couldn't get into this one as I'm in the process of moving countries. I need some brain candy! Read til p146 before stopping.

Journal Entry 17 by tania-in-nc from Mooresville, North Carolina USA on Thursday, April 12, 2007

Sending on to Blurben in Malaysia as soon as I get her address..