corner corner Last Post: The Final Word from Our First World War Soldiers (Cassell Military Paperbacks)

Journal Entry 1 by Treacle1966 from Taupo, Bay of Plenty New Zealand on Sunday, August 27, 2017

not read

Journal Entry 2 by Treacle1966 at somewhere in taupo ... in Taupo, Bay of Plenty New Zealand on Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (10/5/2017 UTC) at somewhere in taupo ... in Taupo, Bay of Plenty New Zealand

Journal Entry 3 by nearlyhere at Taupo, Bay of Plenty New Zealand on Tuesday, October 17, 2017

My son and I were taking a break in Taupo on our way back to Auckland and we found the book placed on a ledge of the memorial outside of the Taupo RSA.

I gave this a 6 because the book is an important record, but it's not the best reading experience as the accounts vary in depth - all of these men were over 100 when the book was put together. There are 22 survivor stories in total, and several are quite lucid, detailed and really convey what it was like to fight in WW1. A handful speak strongly to the emotional and psychological toll the war took on themselves and others. Many soldiers were under 18 when they enlisted. So many young boys were killed in that war.

What a terrible waste it was - I don't think we can be reminded enough.

Journal Entry 4 by nearlyhere at Henderson Recreation Centre in Henderson, Auckland Province New Zealand on Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (10/17/2017 UTC) at Henderson Recreation Centre in Henderson, Auckland Province New Zealand

Left on a cafe table at the West Wave Aquatic Centre

Journal Entry 5 by Waukee at Henderson, Auckland Province New Zealand on Thursday, October 19, 2017

A surprise awaited me on Wednesday when I sat down to catch my breath after an hour of exercise in Henderson’s West Wave. On the table was this very inviting book. A very appropriate topic too considering it’s 100 years since the Passchendaele campaign. I’m looking forward to reading real memories. I have heard of a Travelling Book but never been involved so I’m looking forward to being part of the experience - thank you.

Journal Entry 6 by Waukee at Kumeu, Auckland Province New Zealand on Wednesday, November 08, 2017

This book should be on the recommended reading list of all Commonwealth schools. It gives a real, irreplaceable and priceless insight into the minds of hapless teenagers from our own recent past. Thank goodness Max Arthur had the foresight to research and write it before it was too late. Yes, it is verbatim writing/reading but that in itself is half of the value. The other half are the glimpses into the minds of a few of the thousands who suffered under the brainwashing of politicians of the past.
Lest we forget.

Journal Entry 7 by Waukee at Kumeu, Auckland Province New Zealand on Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Released 1 wk ago (11/9/2017 UTC) at Kumeu, Auckland Province New Zealand

You’ll be grateful for this book.