corner corner Kidnapped (Collins Classics)

Kidnapped (Collins Classics)
by Robert Louis Stevenson | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingDelphi_Readerwing of Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on 8/24/2017

status (set by mrsmontague): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingDelphi_Readerwing from Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Thursday, August 24, 2017

This book starts its journey with Book Crossing from Delphi, Greece
___________________________________________________________________________

‘I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both; and I believe they both get paid in the end; but the fools first.'

"Orphaned as a young teenager, Lowlander David Balfour's only relative is his guardian and uncle, Ebenezer. Ill-thought of and disliked by many, it's not long before Ebenezer betrays his nephew and David finds himself trapped aboard a ship.

He soon strikes up a friendship with fugitive stranger and Scottish Highlander Alan Breck and becomes embroiled in the fierce Jacobite struggle against English rule. A tale of high-seas adventure, loyalty and fighting, the complex relationship between Alan and David stops Stevenson's novel from becoming ‘just' a boys adventure novel."

~~~~~~To the person who found this book:~~~~~~

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. Drop a few lines on where and how you found this book and what you thought of it. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, I encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold.

This book is now yours, and you can keep it if you choose, although I would love you to read and then share it. You can pass it on someone you know or release it once again in the wild, leaving it on a park bench, a phone booth, a hostel lobby...wherever you think it's suitable for the book to continue it's journey. If you pass it along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Thursday, August 24, 2017

I really liked this book albeit its flaws. R.L. Stevenson wrote this as a series of stories for a magazine called “Young Folks” in 1886. Maybe this explains the many plots holes and the unconvincing twists and turns and the somehow superficial characters. Yet, maybe that’s the reason the main story is so pleasantly adventurous and there are side-lines touching upon subjects such as friendship and honor and sense of duty and “nobleness” and much more.

As a non-native English speaker, I sometimes found the language a bit difficult. There are many idioms and expressions and terms and syntax coming from this particular place and era, which I wasn’t familiar with, but these make the prose more beautiful and really add to the “ambiance”. I enjoyed a lot the choice of the specific setting too and I’m now tempted to research more indepth the history of this time period.

Having two main characters (one fictional and one a real historical figure) originating from different starting points and having completely different upbringing and mentality, is an excellent trick of the author to create some tense incidents and twists and so to keep the reader interested!

There are some negative points here and there, but maybe the worst is the explanation for how the two brothers fell apart. And the very end of the book left a lot to be desired too. (I try to avoid spoilers here!)

Still, this book was a good read and it was a pleasure to read it again after several years, this time in its original language.

I tend to keep R.L. Stevenson’s books in my permanent collection, so this is a second copy I bought for Book Crossing purposes.

Journal Entry 3 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Released 2 wks ago (10/3/2017 UTC) at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Kilburn in Derbyshire, UK, recently adopted one of those cute old red telephone boxes. Those seem to find all kind of imaginative new uses nowadays and the particular one will be very cleverly transformed into a book exchange (And it will very wisely host a defibrillator too).

I believe this is a neat idea, so I'm sending a few books to fellow BookCrosser "mrsmontague", in order to help kick-start the project. ("mrsmontague" kindly offered to take care of the book shelves, keeping them clean, tidy and well-stocked and I hope others will do the same).

Kidnapped is one of those books. I hope Kilburn residents will appreciate this nice book, written by one of my favorite authors : )

So, from Delphi, Greece to Kilburn, UK and then...who knows?

Good Luck my book and don't forget to write home from time to time!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmrsmontaguewing at Kilburn, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 14, 2017

Thank you for sending me some books all the way from Greece! :)

Journal Entry 5 by wingmrsmontaguewing at Horsley Book Exchange Phonebox in Horsley, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 15, 2017

Released 6 days ago (10/15/2017 UTC) at Horsley Book Exchange Phonebox in Horsley, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Welcome to BookCrossing - the act of releasing and catching books and spreading our love of reading! It's addictive, fun and spam free!
- If you can, please register when and where you found this book. Using the BCID number from the BookCrossing label inside the front cover, log on to the site, then follow the instructions to make a brief journal entry. The person who released the book will be happy to know it's in safe hands!
- You can then read it if you wish. We'd be most grateful if you could leave it somewhere else for someone else to find afterwards.
You don't have to sign up to BookCrossing- your entry will just appear as an 'Anonymous Finder'. If you do join: please consider putting me, mrsmontague, as your referring member. Enjoy!