corner corner Tokyo to Tokyo: A Cycling Adventure Around Japan

Tokyo to Tokyo: A Cycling Adventure Around Japan
by Daniel Doughty | Travel
Registered by dsduk of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 8/15/2017

status (set by Helrj): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by dsduk from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 15, 2017

In the Land of the Rising Sun, one Brit and his bicycle can get into a lot of mischief. Beginning and ending in the biggest metropolis on earth, small town farm hand,and part-time adventurer Daniel Doughty with his trusty steed tackle all 47 of Japan’s prefectures.

A tale of ups and downs in every sense where around each corner uncertainty awaits; mountains, bustling cities, nudists, language barriers, culture clashes, typhoons, humidity, the rainy season, volcanoes, sexy donuts, drivers of unscrupulous quality, grizzly bears, macaque-attacks, hobo-sexuals, earthquakes, battered communities, starvation, hangovers, dicey bowel movements, nuclear fallout, more mountains and an all round general fear of the unknown.

So saddle up or saddle down, this is Tokyo to Tokyo.

Journal Entry 2 by dsduk at Telephone Box Library in Barton, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 20, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (8/16/2017 UTC) at Telephone Box Library in Barton, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom

Enjoy the ride!

Journal Entry 3 by grannyjenny at Barton, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 21, 2017

What an exhilarating and informative ride; I am so glad that Daniel survived to tell the tale against so many odds. My only gripe is the errors in spelling and punctuation: I hope he gets a chance to get it proof-read before the next edition. I am looking to send the book on a long journey possibly overseas- it needs to be read, especially the timely reminders of the futility and tragedy of war. Many thanks to Daniel for releasing the book in my village (who else could dsd be?).

Journal Entry 4 by Helrj at Reservoir, Victoria Australia on Monday, October 09, 2017

What a rip roaring adventure. As a keen touring cyclist, who is not adverse to stupid trips, I was seriously impressed by this adventure. That is a lot of miles in the saddle over difficult terrain and in often poor weather. I have to say if I had known this was going on I would have sent Daniel a decent tent!
The writing if entertaining and I really liked the break outs into history and current affairs, I feel like I have a much better understanding of Japan now.
It would be much improved by a really good edit but this does not detract from the story and from Daniel's character.
If you hop onto his blog you can also look at photos.
Good book - well worth reading - passing into one of my friends now