corner corner Stand Before The Children (The Warrior Series) (Volume 6)

Stand Before The Children (The Warrior Series) (Volume 6)
by Sandra J Yearman | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by Spatial of Arlington, Virginia USA on 8/28/2017

status (set by Spatial): available

Journal Entry 1 by Spatial from Arlington, Virginia USA on Monday, August 28, 2017

I won this book from the publisher (who is also the author) via a Goodreads giveaway. (The author, Sandra J. Yearman, also included a note and signed the book!) I didn't realize it at the time, this will teach me to look a little closer, but this book is book 6! in a series. Sigh. Why do I do these things to myself?

Welp, I am not going to get the first 5 books before reading this one. This book is gargantuan! I will read it as a standalone and hope that I'll be able to understand it despite not reading the preceding books.

Wish me luck!

Journal Entry 2 by Spatial at Arlington, Virginia USA on Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Stand Before The Children (The Warrior Series Book 6)Stand Before The Children by Sandra Yearman

My rating: 1 of 5 stars

***Received via a Goodreads Giveaway in exchange for an honest review.***

***Another caveat: This is Book 6! I have not read the first 5 books.***

This is really hard, especially since I am the first to leave a review. But I just did not like this story.

First for the good. The author created, not just a fantasy world but multiple worlds...a whole solar system! That's a really interesting concept.
I also like the cover art (not talking about the over-all cover design, just the artwork of the demon and warrior) is cool! I have no clue if the author did the artwork or someone else, as I did not see any credits for it...maybe I missed it?

On the flipside, wow! There are sooooo many characters! It was the first thing I noticed when I started reading. So much so, that I started keeping track how many per page.
Okay, let's break it down. On the very first 2 pages of Chapter 1, there are a whopping 27 characters!!! For Chapter 1 in total (16 pages of text) there are 58 characters introduced! Holy-freakin' moly! I know that I didn't read the first 5 books, but still, that is way too many characters for a first chapter! How in the world is a reader supposed to keep track of the characters? At this point, I can say for certain who the King and Queen are and one of the baddies (Timothy) and the demon who freed him. But that is it! The remaining 54 characters just mush together. So, with that many characters, I flipped to the back of the book where the author, thankfully!, provided a Glossary of Characters. There are 34 pages of 20-24 characters per page!! Wow! Kudos to the author for being able to keep a cast that large straight in her head/writing.

After chapter one, I decided I would give the book to around page 100 or so to see if I could get into it. But alas, I could not. The unnecessary rape and murder scene in Chapter 2 of 3 underage girls (one is eight years old) did me in. It's not integral to the story and just awful! awful! awful!. By this point, we know the 4 escaped prisoners are murderers and rapists of the most depraved sort of beings. They were traveling from one kingdom to another and stopped at a farmhouse to do these horrible acts. What was the point of including it other than for shock value?