corner corner Bonjour Tristesse (Penguin Essentials)

Bonjour Tristesse (Penguin Essentials)
by Francoise Sagan | Literature & Fiction
Registered by stephjb of Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on 8/7/2017

status (set by stephjb): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by stephjb from Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, August 07, 2017

Bought at a book sale in Harlech, Wales

Journal Entry 2 by stephjb at Harlech, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, August 07, 2017

Book review from Literary Flits http://litflits.blogspot.co.uk

I can imagine how shocking Bonjour Tristesse must have been to a 1950s audience, but I don't think that it has dated well. It is essentially a very early Young Adult novella. Its protagonist, our narrator Cecile, is such a spoilt hedonist that I couldn't empathise with her at all and the other characters are disappointingly shallowly portrayed. The storyline did hold my interest, but I couldn't help repeatedly wondering if this book was written now whether it would even get to publication, let alone become such a classic. Its reputation means I am glad to have finally read Bonjour Tristesse, but to the claims for its brilliance that usually centre around Sagan only having been seventeen when she wrote this I would reply that yes, that shows!

Journal Entry 3 by stephjb at Torquay Indoor Market in Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, August 17, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (8/16/2017 UTC) at Torquay Indoor Market in Torquay, Devon United Kingdom

On the book table