corner corner Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales

Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales
by Neal Shusterman | Horror
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/29/2017

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 29, 2017

I've enjoyed other collections by Shusterman. Got this slightly-battered ex-library softcover from Better World Books. Each story is introduced by the author's description of its inspiration. The tales feature such things as a very creepy and hard-to-catch ice-cream man, a kids' soccer game that turns out to have possibly world-ending significance, a quilt with some eerie properties, a skull that seems awfully familiar, and more.

Among my favorites: "Resting Deep," which mixes some very adult fears with some elemental ones, including my own personal nightmares - to very good effect; "Same Time Next Year," which addresses a very basic flaw in most time-travel stories; and "Screaming at the Wall," in which a kid's seemingly-crazy grandmother sees things that haven't happened yet.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Benson Park in Hudson, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, August 19, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (8/19/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library, Benson Park in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this warm day; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 Solar Eclipse release challenge. ***