corner corner Ekaterinburg: The Last Days of the Romanovs

Ekaterinburg: The Last Days of the Romanovs
by Helen Rappaport | History
Registered by Andrea99 of Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on 7/11/2017

status (set by Lizzy-stardust): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Andrea99 from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Bought at the British Library gift shop after attending the Russian Revolution exhibition.

Journal Entry 2 by Andrea99 at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 11, 2017

This is a very good, well written account outlining the final two weeks of the lives of the Romanovs after they had been taken from Tobolsz to the House of Special Purpose in Ekaterinburg. It gives a history of the individuals involved, including the Tsar, Tsarina, their children, and the Bolsheviks guarding them as well as the political wrangling surrounding attempts to rescue the family and also Lenin's manipulating information to keep his name out of any orders enforcing their murders. The shooting itself is explained, horrifically, along with the almost farcical attempts at burial and disposal. This book outlines as close to the truth as possible given the varied lies, half truths and "fake news" published at the time.

Journal Entry 3 by Andrea99 at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, November 04, 2017

This has now been offered up as a bookring here http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/547019 - check on the forum post for next person to send to

Journal Entry 4 by Andrea99 at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, December 02, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (12/2/2017 UTC) at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom

Mailed to the first person on the bookray list!

Journal Entry 5 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, December 16, 2017

And the book is here!
Thanks for sharing; I have always been very interested in this historic period, and won't take long reading it. :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, January 13, 2018

Currently reading it.
Here is the list so far:

1 Bookworm-Lady (Spain)
2 penelopewanders (Switzerland)
2 Mankyi (Switzerland)
4 Lizzy-stardust (UK) -
5....... send back to Andrea99

I will be contacting penelopewanders soon, because this is a thrilling read and I don't think I will take long.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, February 11, 2018

I finished reading it last night; in fact, it kept me awake until 4 a.m., because I found the last chapters riveting and yes, horrific...
There is a lot of research into this book, which shows throughout.
I enjoyed mostly the psychological insights into the characters, with flaws and all (not the sugar-coated version presented to us by Mr Massey in "Nicholas and Alexandra"). But in the end, we get to understand the Tsar and Tsaritsa as human beings thrown into a whirlpool they had no abilities to control, and ultimately dragging their innocent children with them.
The question remains: Could any of their royal relatives save them, but decided to look the other way? As the writer puts it, finally the Romanovs became a political pawn rather than human beings.
Thank you for sharing this, Andrea99, I really enjoyed reading it... well, I'm not sure if this is the right word, as sometimes it was uncomfortable to read...
I have already asked Penelopewanders to confirm her address, just in case, and the book will be on its way to her shortly.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (2/20/2018 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to Penelopewanders, in Switzerland, who is next in line. :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, February 22, 2018

This has arrived safely - Thanks for the cards and other information! I'll try to get to it soon, but have a few other books to read first. Thanks for making it available.

Journal Entry 10 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Monday, March 05, 2018

This is here as a bookcrossing ring, and once again I probably would not have read it if it were not for that. I found the book interesting - I really knew embarrassingly little about those first days after the Russian revolution and had accepted far more heroic and romantic versions of the Bolsheviks. While I can't say I found the Romanov family particularly endearing, as trapped as they were in their version of divine right and entitlement, their end reads like a farce, with all the players caged in their own stereotypes and preconceived notions. Ironically this feels like a continuation of the total disaster of WWI, with nothing really redeeming anything. Albeit depressing, an interesting read. This stays in Switzerland, but will head off the mountain in a few days. Thanks for making it available.

Journal Entry 11 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Monday, March 12, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (3/12/2018 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

Busy times up here in the mountains... I did finally manage to parcel this one though, and now it's left the Alps and heads down (or up - it's heading north) to the big city. Enjoy!
Thanks for making this book available.

Journal Entry 12 by wingMankyiwing at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, March 15, 2018

Found this book in my mailbox today. Looking forward to reading it!:)

UPDATE:

I was expecting more out of this book. Well, they say don't have high expectations and then you won't get disappointed... I was under the impression that the author would share, perhaps, the contents of personal diaries of the Romanovs, their perpetrators and other people involved in their lives, but what I have read were rather dry facts about places that housed them, a bit of information about people who were holding them captive, Lenin and tiny bits of information from the family's personal diaries.
The actual scene of the execution is very graphically described, so if you're sensitive to such scenes, I recommend skipping the last few chapters or not reading this book at all.

Journal Entry 13 by wingMankyiwing at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, April 26, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (4/26/2018 UTC) at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

The book is now ready to travel to its new temporary home in England.

Journal Entry 14 by Lizzy-stardust at Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Received in today's post. Will read it as quickly as possible and get it on its way! Thanks for sharing!