corner corner Sidney Chambers and The Dangers of Temptation (Grantchester)

Sidney Chambers and The Dangers of Temptation (Grantchester)
by James Runcie | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 7/8/2017

status (set by Deltic): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 08, 2017

I bought this from the fundraising shelves within the cafe area of Grewelthorpe Village Hall last night while enjoying an evening of English Country Dancing. As it was the last time the club will be meeting there, this is probably the last time I'll make a donation to their funds!
I chose it because I have a ticket to see James Runcie, author, and Robson Green, who plays Geordie in the TV adaptations of the Grantchester mysteries, in Harrogate in a couple of weeks at an event organised as part of the Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Writing Festival, yet have never actually read any of the books, only watched the TV versions! Now I can remedy that before I see/hear them!

Amazon Editorial Review: "Archdeacon Sidney Chambers is beginning to think that the life of a full-time priest (and part-time detective) is not easy. So when a bewitching divorcee in a mink coat interrupts Sidney's family lunch asking him to help locate her missing son, he hopes it will be an open and shut case. The last thing he expects is to be dragged into the mysterious workings of a sinister cult, or to find himself tangled up in another murder investigation. But, as always, the village of Grantchester is not as peaceful as it seems...From the theft of an heirloom to an ominous case of blackmail, Sidney is once again rushed off his feet in this eagerly anticipated fifth instalment in The Grantchester Mysteries series."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 12, 2017

A surprising writing style for something I took be a mystery/crime series, albeit a cosy one. It's quite lyrical with descriptive details of nature, people, places, the weather, scenery . . . .
And with each chapter having a different plot/mystery, it reads more like a collection of short stories than a novel.
It wasn't what I was expecting!
I enjoyed it and would happily read others in the series but I won't go out of my way to find any.
Meanwhile, I'll keep watching the TV adaptations whenever they're aired!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at The White Swan Leeds in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 15, 2017

Released 1 wk ago (7/16/2017 UTC) at The White Swan Leeds in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

This is one of the titles I plan to make available when a group of BookCrossers gather to chat and swap books in the White Swan, Leeds over lunchtime tomorrow. I hope it finds a new home for somebody else to enjoy after me . . . . If it's not claimed then, and even if it is, who knows where it might end up next?

Well over a million people around the world give their books a unique BookCrossing IDentity number (BCID) before sending them out to find new readers. Since the start of the scheme in April 2001 nearly twelve million such books have been put into circulation. This is one of them!

Our hope is that we can track the progress of our books once they've left our hands - and that's possible if finders like you visit the website, key in the BCID and leave a comment, however long or short. It's fun, it doesn't have to cost anything, although the site always appreciates donations towards running costs, and you can remain anonymous if you wish. You don't have to join but if you do you'll be able to number and track your own books!

Journal Entry 4 by Deltic at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 17, 2017

Will put this on TBR mountain. Not sure if I'll read this one. I might just help it on its travels.