corner corner Karma Cola

Karma Cola
by Gita Mehta | Literature & Fiction
Registered by emmafiles of Murrumba Downs, Queensland Australia on 3/17/2004

status (set by J4shaw): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by emmafiles from Murrumba Downs, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Indian novel.
TBR

Journal Entry 2 by morpha from Astoria, Oregon USA on Wednesday, April 07, 2004

I have read another of her books, and heard a recording of one of her lectures. Gita Mehta is an amazing woman! I can't wait to read this!

Journal Entry 3 by morpha from Astoria, Oregon USA on Monday, June 21, 2004

This book is hilarious, sad, and frightening all at the same time. Every one is looking for peace, or happiness, or serenity, or spiritual enlightenment, or whatever you want to call it. Thousands of westerners esch year decide that India is the place to look.
Mehta documents this search in anecdotal form. There are the hippies and later, the ravers who came to Goa for the drugs orgies and music and stayed, much to the dismay of local residents. There are the ahrams with resident guru, each with his own philosophy of living. There are the charismatic gurus who have gained money and power by taking advantage of gullible westerners. There are the occasional authentic miracle workers. There are the death cults who worship Kali and claim to be responsible for human sacrifice and several international assassinations.
In this book, West meets East meets West with various degrees of misunderstanding, tolerance, graft, etc.
Definitely worth a read.

Controlled release to myntti across the pond in Finland.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, July 29, 2004

Received in the mail today. Thank you, morpha! I'm looking forward to reading this.
***
17.7.2005.
I'm lending this to a friend.

Journal Entry 5 by Aeshna on Saturday, July 08, 2006

Thanks, Myntti, for borrowing this book! First, my cousin read it. Then I did, and finished it in the end of last summer, but never got to write anything about it. Both of us liked it and found it very interesting and funny. Definitely a book every westerner looking for a guru should read before travelling to India ;) We are looking forward to reading her first book, Raj, if we ever happen to come across it. I will give Karma Cola back to Myntti when I'll see her (just visited her nice, new flat few hours ago).

Journal Entry 6 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, July 09, 2006

I got the book back from Aeshna today. TBR.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmynttiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Gita Mehta takes a critical look at "spiritual tourisim" and tells us anecdotes of westerners seeking enlightenment and gurus in India. The subject matter was interesting, but the way the stories were told wasn't really my cup of tea. I didn't find the book funny; I'd call it somewhat bitter.

Journal Entry 8 by wingerpaxwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, September 03, 2012

I took this book at our local meet-up. Many thanks!

Edit: I totally agree with myntti. :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingerpaxwing at Wishlist RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (9/20/2012 UTC) at Wishlist RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 10 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Wow, a wishlist book. Thank you, erpax!

Journal Entry 11 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, January 21, 2016

It's fluently written, easy to read, and the topic is quite interesting. Still, I must say it didn't touch me at all. However, I am glad I read it.
I think I might offer it as my One book a month in February hoping that Karma Cola finds itself a new and better reader.

Gita Mehta at Wikipedia
Karma Cola at Wikipedia

Edited to add on Feb. 25 that this book is now reserved for J4shaw.

Journal Entry 12 by wingTarnawing at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (3/9/2016 UTC) at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

It's finally in the mail. Thanks for you patience, J4shaw. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 13 by wingJ4shawwing at Highett, Victoria Australia on Monday, June 13, 2016

This book arrived safely back on Australian shores a few days back - certainly took its time.
Thank you for sending this on to me Tarna, and the extras inside.
I look forward to reading this and continuing its journey.