corner corner We All Scream: The Fall of the Gifford's Ice Cream Empire (signed by the author)

by Andrew Gifford | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 6/5/2017

status (set by SqueakyChu): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, June 05, 2017

**********BOOK RING**********
*******See journal entry 3*******

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought this book from the author at the Kensington Day of the Book street festival this year (April, 2017) in Kensington, Maryland, USA. Although I didn't have time to hear him address an audience because I was working at BCinDC's BookCrossing booth, I did get a chance to meet and talk with the author. I was delighted to meet him because, not only was Gifford's Ice Cream parlor a significant part of my living in Silver Spring, Maryland, during my young adulthood (1960's-1970's), but also I had won a book on LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program a few years ago that had been published by the author's publishing company. At that time, I had been delighted to learn that this member of the Gifford family was still around.

Inscription in my book:
AG
4/23/17
Kensington, Maryland
Thank you!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, June 20, 2017

This is such a harrowing story. I feel like shaking the author's hand to congratulate him simply for surviving his childhood I actually did get to shake his hand, but not before I read this book. In my young adult years, I Iived near and frequently visited the iconic Gifford's Ice Cream Parlor in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA, It was known for the best ice cream around...although I also liked the ice cream at the dairy of the University of Maryland in College Park, Maryland. I moved away from Silver Spring before Gifford's closed. I was sad to hear about its closure, but I did not know any of the Gifford family story which lead to its downfall.

It was fun to discover the Gifford name a few years ago when, on the Early Reviewers program of LIbraryThing, I learned that Andrew Gifford of the Silver Spring ice cream parlor family fame was running a small press of which I won an advance review copy of one of its books. I was fascinated to discover what happened to Andrew Gifford by googling his information. When I learned that he published a book of his own about his family and was to appear at the Kensington International Day of the Book street festival in April, 2017, I took advantage of the opportunity to meet him and buy his book.

His story about the ice cream parlor's demise is a very troubling one involving mental illness, family dysfunction, and bizarre business practices bordering on criminality. How Andrew Gifford was involved was minimal because he was a child in the store's heyday, but how his family business affected him was deep and sad. I admire the fact that he was able to not only put his difficult past behind him but I am also struck by the fact that he turned his experiences into something good. He had a penchant for writing and publishing. He followed his heart to begin his own small press, an outgrowth of a small publication he did while in school studying something entirely different.

Gifford wove a tremendously interesting story in this book about his family. I liked how he started with himself as a child, and moved backwards in time to fully flesh out his family's interactions. By the time he got around to writing about the family business itself, the reader was quite immersed in and aware of the personalities involved in this troubling story.

I highly recommend this book to those interested in reading about family dysfunction as a way of further understanding mental illness or about an individual's ability to survive adversity. This story reminds me a lot of The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls in that the youngster of a dysfunctional family is a successful survivor. I wanted to cheer for Andrew Gifford when I turned the last page of this book.

Gifford writes...
"To obsess about Gifford's Ice Cream three decades after it vanished from the face of the Earth? Who could possibly do such a thing? Why?...
Maybe it's not about the product. Maybe it is purely about nostalgia."

Yes. Yes, it is.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, June 21, 2017

**********BOOK RING!**********

I would like this book back because it's a signed copy that I bought from the author, but I mostly want to share this book with others so they can read it, appreciate it, and (hopefully) post a review here and on Amazon.

Here's the forum post:

Book Ring Participants:
SqueakyChu - Rockville, MD, USA) - read & released
Chris (Ellicott City, USA) - read & released
Jen (Manchester, MD, USA) - read & released
SqueakyChu (Rockville, MD, USA) - previously read & releasedSqnutZips (Silver Spring, MD, USA - read & released
BCinDC members (Who's next?)
Laurel, my personal friend (New Boston, New Hampshire, USA)
Berly of Librarything (Portland, Oregon, USA)
SqueakyChu - Rockville, MD, USA

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (6/21/2017 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

I mailed this book to Chris, Little Free Library steward in Ellicott City, Maryland, USA. Enjoy the book!

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library.

Please enter some notes here on BookCrossing about this book - when you received it, how you liked it and where you released it.

If you join BookCrossing (free), kindly list SqueakyChu or any other journaler on this thread as your referring person. Thank you.

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by grobarka59 at Ellicott City, Maryland USA on Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (7/5/2017 UTC) at Ellicott City, Maryland USA

As part of a book ray, I'm sending this to Jen Story, Little Free Library of Manchester. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, March 03, 2018

Thanks for returning this book, Jen. I'll now pass it along to members of BCinDC and then have it return to me to travel some more and then return to me for my permanent collection.

Journal Entry 7 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA on Monday, March 05, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (3/17/2018 UTC) at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA

I'm releasing this bookring book in conjunction with a BCinDC (my local BookCrossing group) meetup today. This Starbucks has an OBCZ (Official BookCrossing Zone) so it's a great meet-up place...except that I dislike Starbucks coffee intensely and would prefer green beer today instead. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you've "caught" this book, please read it and pass it along to other BCinDC members, and then return it to me for my permanent collection. Thank you!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 8 by wingSqnutZipswing at Springfield, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 17, 2018

I caught this biography at BCinDC meet-up. I saw a Washington Post review of this book last year. This book was on my to read list. Being about ice-cream I some how figured it'd be a happy story...NOT.

Gifford's Ice-cream is/was legendary in the Washington DC/Maryland metropolitan area. This book is well written but it is a sad and painful story to read. A real eye opener.

Journal Entry 9 by wingSqnutZipswing at Kensington, Maryland USA on Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (4/22/2018 UTC) at Kensington, Maryland USA

I am releasing this book back to "SqueakyChu". This book is part of a Book Ring for BCinDC members. The author Andrew Giffords will be a speaker at the Gaithersburg, Maryland Book Festival in May 2018.

To the person who finds this book.....
Keep it or release it, read it or not, but please make a journal entry to let me know it's been found. Keep it, pass it on to a friend or release it into the wild.... let the journey continue.....

If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing, it's free and loads of fun.

Journal Entry 10 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, April 23, 2018

Thank you for returning this book. I hope to keep it circulating among the members of BCinDC and get a few reviews of this book for the author at the same time!