corner corner Maddie Hatter and the Timely Taffeta (The Maddie Hatter Adventures #3)

I am Canadian, eh!

Maddie Hatter and the Timely Taffeta (The Maddie Hatter Adventures #3)
by Jayne Barnard | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingfraculawing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 11/3/2017

status (set by Crataegus): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingfraculawing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, November 03, 2017

Signed by author

Maddie Hatter's third Adventure finds her in Venice on an all-expenses-paid assignment: report on the season's most extravagant Carnevale costumes. Determined to land an inside scoop, she enlists the help of her half-Venetian friend, Lady Serephene, to penetrate Madame Frangetti's Costume Atelier in disguise.

Serephene is pursuing plots of her own: training in secret for a career that's forbidden by her family, and flirting madly with a low-born Scottish inventor in his airship laboratory. When the inventor's fabulous new fabric is targeted by industrial spies, Serephene risks not only her family's displeasure but her own safety to protect him and his work.

Pursued through the floating city's legendary canals and squares, Maddie must draw on all her hard-won survival skills to keep herself and Serephene out of the spies' clutches. With the help of unexpected allies among Venice's underdogs, the daring young ladies just might reach Carnevale's grand finale alive.

Journal Entry 2 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 11, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (11/11/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released at the November meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 3 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 12, 2017

Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing November meet-up. Steampunk Venice? I'm in!

Journal Entry 4 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, December 14, 2017

I really enjoyed the setting of this one. Having visited Venice myself, it was easy to picture the canals and the tight streets and the little squares. There weren't a ton of steampunk elements added to Venice, which is a contrast to the settings in the other books, but I doubt the author could have added anything more that would have made Venice even more unique. The plot with the experimental fabric wasn't quite up to Maddie's usual mad cap antics, but the book was a still fun romp, and at Carnevale no less. I hope there are more books to come.

Journal Entry 5 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, January 12, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (1/13/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing January meet-up.

Journal Entry 6 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018

Picked up at the January meeting!

Journal Entry 7 by megami-no-ushi at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 10, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (2/10/2018 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the February meeting! Maddie is just as fun as normal and I can see this series going in an interesting new direction perhaps?

To the finder:

Journal Entry 8 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Picked up at this month's Calgary bookcrossing meetup. Looking forward to the read!