corner corner Olive Kitteridge

Olive Kitteridge
by Elizabeth Strout | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingNorthernLightswing of Erlangen, Bayern Germany on 5/26/2017

status (set by Pooker3): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingNorthernLightswing from Erlangen, Bayern Germany on Friday, May 26, 2017

A Novel in Stories

Journal Entry 2 by wingNorthernLightswing at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, July 08, 2017

Released 11 mos ago (7/8/2017 UTC) at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

released during a nice visit to Winnipeg's new OBCZ with gypsysmom

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, July 09, 2017

Look what I found on the OBCZ shelf! Although NorthernLights tried to unobtrusively place this book on the shelf I spied it and since it was one I've been wanting to read for a while I picked it up. Thanks NorthernLights and I'm glad we were able to get together. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, May 07, 2018

This book won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2009 and I became aware of it at that point. More recently it was made into an HBO mini-series starring Frances McDormand in the title role and I thought I would like to see that but first I wanted to read the book. Now that I've read the book I really want to see what Frances McDormand does with the role.

Olive Kitteridge is a Grade 7 math teacher in a small town in Main, married to a pharmacist, and the mother of one son, Christopher. She is crusty and opinionated but has a good heart even if it sometimes is hidden. The book is a series of short stories covering quite a span of time. In some of them Olive is only tangential to the story but, as happens in small towns, she knows all the characters involved. As the stories emerge we uncover quite a lot about Olive and her relationships. I don't know if I would ever really like Olive but I can see having some spirited conversations with her.

It takes a great writer to craft a short story that feels complete in itself and I think each story in this book could stand on its own. In fact, a number were published in various magazines starting as early as 1992. It would be interesting to know if Strout conceived of this series of stories that far back.

I found this quote on Elizabeth Strout's website "We want to know...what it is like to be another person, because somehow this helps position our own self in the world." That's one of the best explanations of why reading is so important (at least to me) that I have ever read.

Journal Entry 5 by winggypsysmomwing at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, June 14, 2018

Released 1 wk ago (6/14/2018 UTC) at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I will be taking this book to the Winnipeg BookCrossing Meetup tonight. If no-one there takes it home it will be left on the OBCZ shelf for a new reader.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.

Journal Entry 6 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, June 16, 2018

I'm excited to read this. I literally grabbed it out of gypsysmom's hands at our meeting last night. Thanks gypsysmom and NorthernLights!